College bucket list: Spontaneous snowball fight

0
112
Students engage in wintry warfare near their residence hall on Thursday, Nov. 8. (Sierra Staatz | Collegian Media Group)

The weather is fitting for a spontaneous and fun bucket list item. I love snow, and get excited about it no matter how cold it it outside. Some may see winter as a burden, but I don’t see any harm in cold weather as long as there is snow on the ground.

With so much snow, I embraced an activity any kid would dream of: a giant snowball fight. After an obligatory residence hall meeting, a group of nearly two dozen students eagerly bundled up in an abundance of coats and hats to play in the winter wonderland.

No matter the cold, many remained determined to have fun. One freshman didn’t have any gloves, so I packed snowballs for him. Two students were shirtless, adding their own flair to the camaraderie. At the end of the day, everyone had the goal of having fun and plastering others snow.

How do you make the perfect snowball? It’s all about the type of snow. For the purposes of snowball making, wetter and denser is generally better. However, when playing so close to other people, it is important to be careful and not pack too much as to not hurt the other players.

Following the fend-for-yourself snowball fight, some students played a version of “The Hunger Games.” Since this was not appealing to everyone, some went inside to warm up their cold toes while others built a snowman.

I think what made the event so exciting was the fact that none of it was planned. The spontaneity brought in all the emotions college can bring. First, there is the initial shock of something immediately happening to then be followed by the excitement of the idea. Being at the right place at the right time is vital to joining in on any unexpected fun.

And how did the wonderful evening end? Snuggling up in the dorm rooms with hot cocoa and blankets. I think it is safe to say that cold weather and snow may keep people closer to their living spaces, but in a dorm that just means more entertainment and interaction with great people.

Sierra Staatz is a freshman in biological and chemical engineering. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to opinion@kstatecollegian.com.