Men’s basketball suffers its first loss of the season against Marquette, 83-71

0
74

The twelfth-ranked Kansas State men’s basketball team was upset by Marquette 83-71 on Saturday in Milwaukee in the first true road game of the 2018-19 season.

Foul trouble throughout the game for K-State and a career day by Marquette junior guard Markus Howard made the difference in the matchup: Junior guard Xavier Sneed got into foul trouble early with two fouls in the first five minutes of the game, and senior guard Barry Brown had three fouls and a technical with eight minutes remaining in the first half after being called for a foul and running to the K-State bench in frustration.

This would give Howard an opportunity to get into a rhythm early after making all four free throws following the call.

K-State continued to struggle offensively and did not make a field goal for nine minutes until senior guard Kamau Stokes broke the drought with a bucket with under a minute remaining in the half.

The Wildcats were lucky to be trailing 44-33 despite shooting 34 percent from the field and had five players with two or more fouls.

Junior forward Makol Mawien led the Wildcats in the first half with 10 points, but the big man did not have a single rebound in the first half.

Howard nearly outscored K-State at halftime with 26 points, with a 44-33 score at half in favor of Marquette

The Wildcats struggled to contain Howard as foul trouble limited Brown, who is one of K-State’s top defenders.

K-State began to mount a comeback early in the second half before foul trouble once again slowed the momentum.

Stokes was forced to sit for the majority of the half after picking up his fourth foul early in the second half.

Senior forward Dean Wade recorded four fouls within three minutes and would later foul out with eight minutes remaining in the game, ending his night with 11 points.

K-State scratched within ten points, trailing 58-48 with five minutes remaining in the game but could not match the hot shooting of Marquette.

Mawien would be the second Wildcat to foul out killing the late momentum for the Wildcats.

The Golden Eagles would put the game out of reach and cruised to an 83-71 win.

Howard finished the night with 45 points as the Golden Eagles shot 56 percent from the field.

Mawien and Sneed both had 12 points on the night which led the Wildcats, who shot 41 percent from the field and 27 percent (6-of-22) from the three-point line as a team.

K-State will look to bounce back on the road against Tulsa next Saturday at 3:30 p.m. on the CBS Sports Network.