Women’s basketball wins SEC/Big 12 Challenge against Vanderbilt

0
97
Stuck between the Vanderbilt defense, Peyton Williams watches to see if she can get a rebound during the game on Dec. 2, 2018 in Bramlage Coliseum. The Wildcats defeated the Commodores 72-61. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

Coming off an 80-61 win over Princeton to wrap up the 2018 Cancun Challenge, the Kansas State women’s basketball team beat Vanderbilt 72-61 inside Bramlage Coliseum Sunday in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge.

The first bucket for K-State came a minute and a half into the game with a jumper from junior forward Peyton Williams. Freshman guard Carr tied the game up with a three-pointer.

With a media timeout halfway through the first quarter, the Wildcats and Commodores were tied at nine.

Two straight baskets made by Carr, and a layup from junior forward Jasauen Beard, K-State went on a seven-point scoring run over two and a half minutes. Senior guard Kayla Goth sent K-State out of the first quarter holding a 21-14 lead with a three-pointer.

Five different players for the Wildcats scored in the second quarter where they outscored the Commodores 20-10.

Halftime numbers

K-State shot 56 percent from the field on 30 shots. Vanderbilt held the edge in rebounds 16-12. Both teams scored 12 points in the paint and combined for 21 turnovers. Vanderbilt was held to 42 percent shooting from the floor but made 75 percent of its shots from beyond the arc.

Williams and Carr combined for 23 points to lead the Wildcats. Goth shot 50 percent from the field and made two shots from three-point range. Mariella Fasoula scored 10 points for Vanderbilt.

“As the games keep going forward, I just keep getting more comfortable playing with this group of girls and playing on this court and playing at the speed of college basketball,” Carr said to K-State Sports.

Per K-State Sports, Goth is now the 10th player in program history to record at least 350 assists in her career.

K-State outscored Vanderbilt in the third quarter 17-12 while holding the Commodores to 23 percent shooting.

Sophomore guard Rachel Ranke opened the fourth quarter with a layup to give K-State a 60-36 lead.

Goth made a pair of free throws with just over a minute left on the fourth personal foul from Vanderbilt’s Mariella Fasoula.

Williams dribbled out the last 10 seconds after rebounding the ball on the other end of the floor.

Final numbers

K-State shot 50 percent from the field and three-point range. The Wildcats were 9-15 from the free-throw line, four of which came from Goth who was perfect at the line. Carr went 5-11 on three-pointers and finished the game with 21 points to lead the team. Vanderbilt outscored K-State 25-14 in the fourth quarter.

Vanderbilt’s leading scorer was Fasoula, who had 21 points on 22 total shots.

“We lost some discipline, lost some focus,” said head coach Jeff Mittie about the fourth quarter. “Our bench has got to come in and provide some things and come in and execute some things just as well as the group played before. So that’s still an area where we’re trying to develop the depth to do that.”

K-State beat Vanderbilt 72-61 in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge. The next game for the Wildcats will be on Wednesday against Lamar. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m. inside Bramlage Coliseum.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.