K-State to remain in session during national day of mourning

0
254
The World War II Memorial, located near McCain Auditorium, is a feature on campus that many possible incoming students would see entering Anderson Hall. (Archive photo by Taylor Alderman | Collegian Media Group)

On Friday, former President George H.W. Bush died at 94 years old. Afterward, President Donald Trump declared Wednesday, Dec. 5 a national day of mourning to commend the former commander in chief.

Many remembrance events are observed on days of mourning, which are typically held for the deaths of renowned figures or tragedies that have occurred.

When observing a national day of mourning, certain institutions close and federal employees may be excused from work. Banks, courts and Wall Street will be closed, and the Supreme Court will postpone arguments for one day.

Kansas Gov. Jeff Colyer issued an executive order closing state offices to observe the day of mourning. Soon after, the Kansas Board of Regents decided it is up to the individual universities to chose whether or not to cancel classes.

Vice President for Administration and Finance Cindy Bontrager said that the university needs to take into consideration the timing of the situation before deciding whether or not to cancel classes.

Bontrager said because the day occurs close to finals and graduation, K-State’s classes will still be in session Wednesday.

Bontrager also said they reached out to other Kansas universities to see how they were handling the situation. The majority of the six colleges governed by the Kansas Board of Regents are to remain open; only Wichita State University has canceled Wednesday classes.

Hi there! I'm Julie Freijat. I'm the managing editor of the Collegian. In the past, I've served as an editor on the news and culture desks and worked closely with the multimedia staff. I love science and technology, hate poor movie dialogue and my favorite subreddit is r/truecrime.