Hale might be unavailable, but there’s no shortage of study spots on campus

0
102
Elyssa Lenz and Lily Hoover, both freshmen, study at Cornerstone Cafe for their biology exam. Various locations across campus are opening up spots or expanding hours to accommodate students studying for finals now that Hale Library is temporarily out of commission. (John Chapple | Collegian Media Group)

Impending finals are on all students minds, but K-State Libraries are making sure there are plenty of study spaces on campus for those that need a quiet place to work.

“We have added quite a few new spaces specifically for finals week,” Darchelle Martin, library public relations officer, said. “All of these new spaces are also quiet study locations, which is something students have expressed to us as a need.”

For quiet study space, as classified by K-State Libraries, there are locations in five buildings: the Alumni Center, the Student Union, the Berney Family Welcome Center, Holtz Hall and the KSU Foundation.

The Alumni Center, where library administration offices are located currently, has two separate areas for students. The large ballroom located on the first floor will be open Monday through Thursday next week at various times. There are meeting rooms students can check out at the front desk beginning Saturday, Dec. 8.

The Union has various meeting rooms available Saturday and Sunday from 8 a.m. until midnight. Monday through Thursday, the ballroom will be open continuously. On Friday, it will close at 10 p.m. The second floor ballroom will be available Sunday through Friday at various hours.

The KSU Foundation, located at 1800 Kimball Ave., will be open Tuesday through Thursday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Berney Family Welcome Center will have various meeting rooms available Monday through Thursday from 8 a.m. until 11 p.m. and on Friday from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Food will not be allowed in the rooms and students must check in at the front desk.

Holtz Hall is open from 9:30 a.m. to 2 a.m. Sunday through early Friday morning. These hours will continue into the spring semester, Martin said, which the library staff believes will benefit students. There are several large rooms that students will be able to work on group projects together that aren’t zoned as quiet areas.

“We are incredibly grateful to everyone across campus that is stepping up to help provide space for students,” Martin said.

Additional study space suggestions can be found at https://www.lib.k-state.edu/finals-week.

I’m Bailey Britton, a freshman in Journalism and Mass Communications. I enjoy playing tennis and drinking coffee, but not at the same time. When I’m studying or writing, I can usually be found at Radina’s in the Union. I have a cat and a dog back home in Colby, KS.