Alpha Phi Alpha brings leadership to the spotlight with pageant, service

0
58

On Saturday, Dec.1, the Kappa Tau chapter of Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity hosted the 20th annual Miss Black & Gold scholarship pageant. Ten women, from freshman to senior year who were selected because of their leadership and excellence, competed in the event.

“The purpose of this event is to show our appreciation and love for the black women on our campus,” said Dariyan Springfield, president of Alpha Phi Alpha and junior in animal science and industry. “Since a lot of the girls on campus are very involved, we want to give them the chance to show how much we care for them.”

The pageant consisted of an introductory video and dance performance by the contestants, and four sections of competition—personal introductions and career wear, talent, swimwear and finally elegant wear.

Later, a winner was crowned as Miss Black & Gold—Daijah Jones, freshman in business marketing and sociology. She was followed by first runner up, Miss Gold, Ramsey Brown, junior in communications studies and disorders. And second runner up, Miss Black, Malia Crawford, a senior in life science and Spanish. All three women received a scholarship toward their next semester at Kansas State.

The pageant celebrated “20 years of black beauty & golden elegance” at K-State.

Desmund Weathers, pageant coordinator and senior in software engineering, said the pageant started because the original rules of the Miss America pageant prevented black women from participating as contestants. The pageant started small and gradually grew to be a nationally recognized event. Today, Miss Black and Gold is celebrated across the nation and celebrates the influence, excellence and beauty of black women.

“The pageant is used to show black elegance amongst women of color on campus and to do that through the fraternity,” Tyara Moore, pageant participant and senior in anthropology, said.

Alpha Phi Alpha nationwide

The pageant is just one element of what Alpha Phi Alpha does across the nation. On Tuesday, the fraternity celebrated Founders Day, marking 112 years. April 15, 2019 will mark the fraternity’s 43rd anniversary at K-State.

The building blocks of the fraternity, Weathers said, are “manly deeds,” scholarship and a love for all mankind. The fraternity is designed to develop leaders, promote brotherhood and strive for academic excellence while providing service and advocacy.

“All the events we do and everything we do on campus is for the community. It’s not for self, it’s for our community. Whether that’s community service or holding fun events, it’s all for the community and service-based,” Springfield said.