K-State women hold off third quarter surge to win at Little Rock

0
33

The K-State women’s basketball team held off a late surge from Little Rock in their first true road test Saturday in Little Rock, Arkansas. The 53-47 win moves K-State to 7-2 on the year.

K-State started off the game hot, taking an immediate 5-0 lead. By the under-five-minute timeout, they were up 12-2.

The Wildcats’ 18-7 lead at the end of the first quarter was imperative because they would be outscored the rest of the way, 40-35.

In that first quarter, sophomore guard Rachel Ranke and freshman guard Christianna Carr both had five points to lead K-State.

All five of Ranke’s points came at the free throw line and within a minute of each other. Ranke would finish the game 6-7 from the charity stripe.

Just nine seconds into the second quarter, Ranke added three more points on the Wildcat’s first possession. She finished the game with 12 points.

K-State built their lead up to a game-high 18 points with four-and-a-half minutes to play.

The Wildcats managed to hold Little Rock to 13 points in the second quarter, but they only managed 13 points of their own. K-State headed to the locker room up 31-20.

Ranke’s 11 first-half points led the Wildcats in the first half, but it would be junior forward Peyton Williams and senior guard Kayla Goth who would each put 10 second-half points in to seal the victory.

Senior forward Kali Jones followed up a school-record eight blocks against Lamar with three more on Saturday, two of them in the first half. She also put in two points and grabbed four boards on the evening.

The Wildcats stretched their lead back out to 11 points with 3:39 to play in the third quarter, but Little Rock came back to cut the lead to just six with a buzzer-beating three-pointer to end the quarter.

The final stanza was a wash, each team scored 11 points. Carr, Goth and Ranke sealed the game by going a combined 8-10 from the free throw line to deny Little Rock’s attempt to come back.

Goth lead the Wildcats with 15 points and six rebounds. Williams added 12 points and eight rebounds in the victory.

K-State’s next action will come on December 16th vs Arizona State at a neutral site in La Crosse, Wisc. They will return to Manhattan on December 20 to host Central Arkansas.