K-State women’s basketball drops Big 12 opener against Iowa State 96-58

0
32

Iowa State defeated the Kansas State Women’s basketball team 96-58 on Wednesday.

The Wildcats traveled to Ames, Iowa to open Big 12 play against No. 25 Iowa State for the third time in five seasons. The Wildcats entered the matchup looking to avenge an 80-45 home loss in the last meeting against the Cyclones.

Iowa State held a scoring advantage leading into the matchup, averaging 80.4 points per game compared to K-State’s 64.4 points per game. The Wildcats could not keep up with the Cyclones, who had five players who scored double digits. Senior guard Bridget Carleton led the Cyclones with 26 points but was one rebound shy of a double-double.

K-State’s senior guard Kayla Goth recorded a double-double with 17 points and 10 assists, but the Wildcats could not contain the high-scoring Cyclones.

To open the game, the Cyclones jumped out with a 6-0 lead. The Wildcats followed with a 13-2 run over the course of three minutes. The first quarter ended with K-State leading 22-19 despite a two-and-a-half minute scoring drought.

Junior forward Jasauen Beard led the Wildcats with seven points in the quarter.

The Cyclones tied the game at 22 in the first 30 seconds of the second quarter and took the lead less than two minutes in while the K-State scoring drought continued. K-State ended the scoring drought with seven minutes remaining in the second quarter. The Cyclones continued to increase their lead and led K-State 46-34 at the end of the half.

Carleton led the Cyclones with 16 points, and Goth led the Wildcats with 10. Iowa State shot 50 percent (7-14) from the three-point line compared to K-State’s 25 percent (2-8).

Iowa State dominated the third quarter building a 20-point lead despite a sloppy beginning. The two teams combined for 12 points in the first five minutes. The Wildcats trailed the Cyclones 65-44 at the end of the third quarter.

Iowa State ran away with the game in the fourth quarter. A 14-0 run over four minutes and a five-minute K-State scoring drought allowed the Cyclones to dominate the game. The Wildcats ended the scoring drought in the final minute of the fourth quarter. The Cyclones dribbled out the clock to end the game at 96-58.

The Cyclones shot 45.6 percent from the field and made 16 three-pointers on the night. K-State shot 40 percent and were 3-15 from the three-point line.

K-State has now lost seven straight Big 12 openers, and the 96 points were the most allowed since November 23, 2015 against Connecticut.

K-State will look to bounce back against Oklahoma at 7 p.m. on Saturday in Manhattan. The game will air on Fox Sports Central and K-State HD.TV. Fans can also listen to the game on the K-State Sports Network.