Men’s basketball falls to No. 11 Texas Tech 63-57

0
80
Senior guard Barry Brown Jr. prepares for the game by celebrating with his team. The Kansas State Wildcats lost to the Texas Longhorns 67-47 at Bramlage Coliseum on Wednesday, Jan. 2, 2019. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State basketball team lost 63-57 in Lubbock to No. 11 Texas Tech Saturday afternoon.

K-State is now 10-4 (0-2) and Texas Tech is 13-1 (2-0). The Wildcats have lost their last two games and the Red Raiders have won their last three.

K-State was still without senior forward Dean Wade for the fifth straight game in the team’s first conference road game of the season. Senior guard Kamau Stokes was back after missing the game against Texas, but only saw 21 minutes of game action and scored seven points, three of which came from beyond the arc.

In the first half K-State more than struggled on the offensive side of the ball. The Wildcats shot 23 percent on 26 shots. They were 0-9 from beyond the arc but found some offensive rhythm shooting 70 percent at the free-throw line.

Texas Tech went on a 14-point run in the first six minutes. The first basket for K-State came on a fastbreak layup in the paint from redshirt sophomore guard Cartier Diarra with 9:13 left in the half.

Going into halftime, K-State was down 34-19.

In the second half, the Wildcats doubled the number of points they scored in the first half. Brown hit a three-pointer to bring K-State within one, down 43-42 with 6:56 left in the game. That was as close as the Wildcats got to taking the lead.

Brown scored 11 of his 16 team-leading points in the second half. K-State shot 41.94 percent in the second half from the field on 31 shots. Diarra finished the game with 11 points. Junior forward Makol Mawien recorded his first career double-double with 10 points and a career-high 11 rebounds.

Sophomore guard Davide Moretti for Texas Tech had a game-high 19 points. The Red Raiders shot 44.7 percent overall from the field. Texas Tech’s largest lead of the game was 16 with 1:16 left in the first half.

K-State outscored Texas Tech 24-14 in the paint. The Wildcats had 16 points from their bench and 13 off turnovers.

The Wildcats will return home in search of their first Big 12 win on Wednesday. The game will tip off at 6 p.m. on ESPNU and fans can listen on the K-State Sports Network.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.