UPDATE: Dismissed basketball player arrested twice Monday

0
1285
Sophomore center Maary Lakes charges the basket during K-State's women's basketball game against Pittsburg State in Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 5, 2018. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Update 10 a.m. Tuesday:

After the arrest on Monday morning, Lakes was arrested again at 7:55 p.m. Monday, according to the RCPD arrest report, on the charge of a violation of a protection order. She was released on a $1,000 bond. This is makes two arrests in less than 24 hours.

Original story:

Sophomore center Maary Lakes was dismissed from the Kansas State women’s basketball team Monday morning following a second arrest in the span of a year.

According to Riley County Police Department arrest reports, Lakes was arrested after 12 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 7 on the charges of domestic battery and criminal damages to property. She has since been released on a $750 bond.

On July 16, 2018, Lakes was also arrested on a domestic battery charge and posted a $1,000 bond. Those charges were later dropped.

11.18.18.BasketballVsUMKC.AT.6051.jpg
With the UMKC defense nowhere near the goal, K-State center Maary Lakes goes up for an easy two points. K-State defeated UMKC 61-50 in Bramlage Coliseum on Nov. 18, 2018. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

In a press release Monday, head coach Jeff Mittie expressed his thoughts on the dismissal of Lakes.

“Maary was a student-athlete with so much potential,” Mittie said. “Maary was someone we thought deserved a second chance, but unfortunately, it is time for us to both move on, and we wish her nothing but the best.”

In Lakes’ freshman campaign she played in 33 games recording three starts for the Wildcats, amounting to 259 minutes of action for the Wildcats. In her sophomore campaign, she played in 13 games earning 96 minutes on the court.

Molly Hackett
I'm Molly Hackett, the assistant sports editor this semester. I attended St. James Academy just outside of Kanas City for high school and I am currently a junior in mass communications with an emphasis in digital media and a minor in business. In my free time, I love to ride my moped, spend time with friends and family, play sports, drink coffee and take naps.