K-State track and field starts 2019 with sweep at Wildcat Invitational

0
112
K-State senior Shanae McKenzie placed first in the women’s high jump, successfully clearing 1.71 meters during the Wildcat Invitational in Ahearn Fieldhouse on Jan. 12, 2019. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State track and field teams started 2019 with the Wildcat Invitational at Ahearn Fieldhouse with multiple event wins.

The men’s team starts the season ranked No. 24 in the USTFCCCA preseason rankings. The women’s team is ranked No. 28.

K-State competed against North Texas, University of Missouri Kansas City, Arkansas Pine Bluff and Langston University in the men’s events.

Overall, the men’s team placed second in the 4×400 meter relay. They finished with a time of 3:23:00. This relay was made up of freshman Parker McCafferty, sophomore Angelo Gordon as well as juniors Justin Davis and Jullane Walker.

The men’s team had 9 individuals claim first in their respective events. These individuals were made up of two freshman, three sophomores, two juniors, and two seniors.

Three events throughout the day saw three athletes from K-State place.

In the weight throw, junior Cameron Lewis placed second at 17.23 meters, sophomore Colin Echols in third at 16.43 meters and freshman Keenan Hildebrandt finished in sixth (14.38 meters).

In the 60-meter hurdles juniors Aaron Booth and Kyle Parr finished third and fourth, respectively. Senior Simone Fassina placed sixth in the event.

01.12.19.WildcatInvitational.AT.2752.jpg
Jumping as far as she can, K-State’s Lauren Taubert placed second in the women’s long jump at 5.67 meters during the Wildcat Invitational in Ahearn Fieldhouse on Jan. 12, 2019. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

Senior Joe Gorthy claimed fourth in the one mile run with a time of 4:22.85. Junior Keegan Donahue placed fifth at 4:24.64 and freshman Charlie Parrish finished 9th at 4:28.63.

In the women’s events, K-State had 10 individuals win their respective events as they competed against athletes from North Texas, University of Missouri Kansas City and Arkansas Pine Bluff.

Sophomore Cayli Hume won the 800-meter in 2:18.32, while teammate freshman Karley Larson finished third at 2:28.36.

Sophomore Cara Melgares claimed the 1-mile run in 5:08.98 and sophomore Victoria Robinson finished the race fourth at 5:23.03.

Six Wildcats placed in the 60-meter hurdles including junior Lauren Taubert who won the event at 8:47.

As a team, the Wildcats won the 4×400 meter relay with a time of 3:45:71. This group was made up of freshman Lavaun Stephenson, juniors Akia Guerrier and Lauren Taubert and senior Ranae McKenzie.

The next meet for the Wildcats will be the Sunflower Triangular in Lawrence where they will face the University of Kansas and Wichita State. Field events are scheduled to start at 3 p.m on Jan. 18 with the women’s weight throw and long jump.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.