Brittany Chambers honored as K-State women’s basketball team retires the No. 2 jersey

0
203
Former All-American guard Brittany Chambers is presented with a framed jersey during her jersey retirement ceremony at the halftime of the game against KU on Sunday. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

A sixth name was immortalized in the south rafters in Bramlage Coliseum at the Kansas State women’s basketball team’s 61-54 loss to in-state rival Kansas on Sunday.

Former All-American guard Brittany Chambers’ number 2 now hangs among the jerseys of some of the greatest players in K-State women’s basketball history.

Chambers, who hails from Jordan, Minnesota, played for K-State from 2009 to 2013 before being drafted number 22 overall by the WNBA’s Los Angeles Sparks. She most recently played professionally in Spain.

During her time in Manhattan, she was recognized five times as the Big 12 Player of the Week, made three All-Big 12 First Teams and was an honorable mention on the Associated Press All-American team in 2013.

She amassed 2,156 points in her time at K-State, good enough for third in school history — behind fellow retired jerseys Nicole Ohlde and Kendra Wecker, who is K-State’s all-time leading scorer. Those three names represent the only three women in K-State history to record at least 2,000 points.

Chambers’ scoring includes 350 made three-point baskets, a mark that ranks second in school history and third in Big 12 history. She attempted a school record 974 treys in her career at K-State, the most in school history.

Chambers has appeared in more games than any other player at K-State and also started more than any other player (135 and 130, respectively). She also scored in a Wildcat-best 133 games and played more career minutes than anyone else. She averaged a record 35.1 minutes per game.

Her senior year, Chambers scored a school record 778 points and averaged a school-record 21 points per game. That season, the Wildcats appeared in the semifinals of the WNIT and Chambers was named to the WNIT All-Tournament Team.

Chambers name joins that of Wecker and Ohlde, as well as Priscilla Gary, Tammie Romstad and Shalee Lehning in the rafters.