Barry Brown’s late-game heroics and season-highs earn him Big 12 player of the week

0
82
Senior guard Barry Brown Jr. celebrates after a technical foul is called against Vanderbilt during K-State's basketball game at the Sprint Center on Dec. 22, 2018. The Wildcats defeated the Commodores 69-58. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Senior guard Barry Brown had his season-high 29 points along with a 23-point point performance and two game-winners to earn himself Phillips 66 Big 12 player of the week for the first time in his four-year career at Kansas State.

The St. Petersburg, Florida native said he was happy to receive the award at the team’s press conference Monday afternoon.

Brown scored 29 points against West Virginia Jan. 9, serving as a big part of the largest comeback in school history. He topped off his season-high performance with the game-winning shot.

Brown also garnered 23 points against Iowa State on Saturday, sinking a winning layup with only four seconds left on the clock.

The senior said he has always wanted to be in a big-time big-game situation to make a game-winning shot and that he always had the potential to deliver on the court.

“I don’t know when I got that,” Brown said. “Maybe when you’re a little kid and you countdown 5, 4, 3, 2, and you always want to make the shot. To have it for real now is something I feel like I’ve always had.”

The two wins brought the Wildcats up to 2-2 in conference play after an 0-2 start.

“Winning is definitely the number one goal,” Brown said. “After starting 0-2, winning these past two games were definitely big for us.”

Brown said he has one thought going through his mind when he has the ball late in the game in position for a game-winner: “I’m about to score; it’s game.”

Brown said he knows his coaches and teammates believe in him.

“Coach [Weber] believing me, he’s calling my number a lot,” Brown said. “I’m able to get downhill, make layups and some mid-range shots and threes here and there. My teammates are finding me, getting me the ball in the right spots and I’m just trying to execute the play and put the ball in the basket.”

Last week was a big week for Brown, but he isn’t getting ahead of himself or trying to live in his success from last week. He said he still has a one-game-at-a-time mindset, and he’s trying to focus on getting better each week.

Head coach Bruce Weber said he saw this in Barry the moment he stepped on the court the first time as a freshman, and it was only a matter of time for Brown to start having late-game heroic success.

“Since he arrived here he has always wanted it,” Weber said. “He’s slowly matured. He’s very confident and very determined, he’s an unbelievable playmaker. He can make some acrobatic layups that a lot of people can’t make.”