At the annual Sunflower Triangular, K-State makes a run for back to back titles, finishes second

0
84
K-State senior Shanae McKenzie placed first in the women’s high jump, successfully clearing 1.71m during the Wildcat Invitational in Ahearn on Jan. 12, 2019. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State track and field added 13 more titles to its resume at the fifth Sunflower Triangular hosted in Lawrence on Friday.

At the meet in 2018, K-State finished on top for the first time since 2015 against in-state rivals Wichita State and the University of Kansas with a score of 230 points.

After competing in 31 scored events, KU held the lead with 235 points, K-State was in second with 220 points and WSU scored 215.

The scoring in the Sunflower Triangular is mixed, meaning the men’s and women’s scores are scored collectively.

The women’s team totaled six of the 13 victories for K-State.

Senior Shardia Lawrence finished the women’s triple jump with a distance of 13.16 meters. Junior Ariel Okorie had 5.85 meters in the long jump and completed the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8:47.

Sophomore Taylor Latimer threw for a distance of 15.67 meters in the shot put and junior Helene Ingvaldsen finished at 20.99 meters. Freshman Alex Ferguson ran the 600-yard race in 1:21:43.

The men’s team had seven individuals place for the day.

Junior Jullane Walker ran the 60-meter dash in 6:75 and completed the long jump with a distance of 7.36 meters. Freshman Dylan Brenneman won the 1,000-meter run in 2:31:05.

Sophomore Tejaswin Shankar competed in the high jump, finishing at 2.25 meters. In the men’s pole vault, senior Sam Dreiling threw for 4.90 meters and senior Brett Neely threw for 19.27 meters in the shot put.

The triple jump was won by sophomore Angelo Gordon with a final distance of 15.43 meters.

K-State will look to add more titles to its record at the Razorback Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas on Jan. 25 and 26.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.