K-State falls flat in 65-53 loss to Texas A&M

0
40

The Kansas State men’s basketball team’s five-game winning streak ended after suffering a 65-53 loss against Texas A&M in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge on Saturday in College Station, Texas.

The Wildcats struggled to gain any momentum in the game. K-State shot just 33 percent (20-61) from the field and only 23 percent (7-31) from the 3-point line.

Despite 17 points from senior guard Dean Wade, the Wildcats could not stop junior guard Wendell Michell, who erupted in the second half with 22 points.

It was a back-and-forth first half between the Wildcats and the Aggies. The first run of the game came late in the first half when K-State went on a 12-2 run, making the score 28-20, the largest lead of the half for both teams.

The Wildcats ended the half on a two minute-long scoring drought, however. Texas A&M cut K-State’s lead to a slim 30-26 going into halftime. The Wildcats shot a dismal 20 percent (2-10) from the 3-point line and an overall field goal percentage of 44.4 percent.

Wade led all scorers with 12 points in the half. Sophomore guard Savion Flagg led the Aggies with nine points.

K-State’s defense forced 11 turnovers, seven of which were steals, and scored 17 points off turnovers in the half.

The Aggies tied the game coming out of the locker room with a 7-0 run, forcing K-State to call a timeout. K-State’s scoring drought continued to a seven-minute drought while Texas A&M’s run stretched to 12-0. K-State did not score until 12:26 remaining in the half.

The Wildcats went on a 6-0 run to bring the game within three at 49-46 but could not keep pace with the Aggies, who would go on to defeat K-State 65-53.

Mitchell dominated in the second half after being held scoreless in the first half. Mitchell led all scorers with 22 points.

K-State shot 24 percent from the floor in the second half and 25 percent from behind the 3-point line. Texas A&M, meanwhile, shot 58 percent (14-24) from the field in the second half.

Overall, the Wildcat offense struggled the entire game, shooting just 33 percent (20-61) from the floor compared compared to a 51 percent (25-49) field goal percentage from the Aggies.

The Wildcats remain tied for first place in the Big 12 with rival Kansas after the non-conference loss. They are now 15-5, 5-2 in the Big 12.

K-State will resume conference play next Saturday on the road against Oklahoma State at 5 p.m. on ESPN 2.