Women’s basketball falls to West Virginia 60-30

0
38
The K-State Wildcats faced off against the Oklahoma State Cowgirls at Bramlage Coliseum on Wednesday. Saturday, the Wildcats lost to West Virginia on the road. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State’s women’s basketball team got doubled up by West Virginia on Saturday in a 60-30 loss in Morgantown, West Virginia.

The Wildcats, now 13-7 on the year, had been on a three-game win streak when they headed to Morgantown that included wins over Texas, Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.

K-State shot just 20 percent on the night and missed all 18 3-point baskets that the team attempted. They did themselves no favors from the charity stripe, shooting just 57 percent on free throws.

The Wildcats’ poor offensive night did not start out that way, though. Junior forward Peyton Williams found a basket just one minute into the game, the first points of the game off a defensive rebound.

Williams led K-State with just eight points in the game. She shot 3-13 from the field and pulled down a team-high 12 rebounds.

Senior guard Kayla Goth matched those eight points in the loss. She managed four assists in her 37 minutes of play.

K-State outscored West Virginia 9-8 in that first quarter. From the end of the first quarter on, K-State never really stood a chance.

After that first quarter performance, the Mountaineers pulled away. They outscored K-State 16-7 in the second quarter behind 11 points from senior guard Naomi Davenport.

Davenport put up 16 points for the Mountaineers. She also grabbed 15 rebounds and dished out five assists. All of those stats led everyone in the game.

The Mountaineers’ lead going into the half was 24-16. They did not let up after half time, though.

West Virginia stretched their halftime lead to 10 early in the second half. K-State hung around that mark for a while, even cutting the lead to six, before an 18-2 by the Mountaineers run to finish out the third quarter. K-State trailed by 22 points, 48-26, going into the fourth quarter.

The final quarter was the also most dominant quarter from the Mountaineers in a dominant game.

K-State’s last points of the evening came in the form of a layup from freshman guard Christianna Carr with 8:11 left in the 10-minute period. The Wildcats trailed 30-51 From there West Virginia went on a seven-minute 9-0 run the seal the game.

Carr scored seven points and three rebounds. She was 3-6 from the free throw line and played 34 minutes.

K-State’s next game will be a home match-up against TCU on Wednesday. It will be on Fox College Sports Central and KSTATEHD.TV.