K-State Libraries temporarily suspends acquisition of new materials

0
229
Workers scrape the paint off the ceilings on the first floor of Hale Library to help the drying process before renovations begin. (Sabrina Cline | Collegian Media Group)

K-State Libraries announced Tuesday it will not be purchasing any new books, journal titles, databases or other subscription-based materials until the end of the fiscal year due to budget constraints.

Certain materials, such as those needed for accreditation, course requirements or research projects may be approved on a case-by-case basis.

Dean of libraries Lori Goetsch and Provost Charles Taber announced the news via K-State Today. The temporary suspension, or moratorium, is due to an increase in prices for subscriptions to electronic databases and journals.

K-State Libraries’ statement explains that subscription prices experience an average annual inflation of six percent. This model is unsustainable for K-State Libraries, which spends about $5 million annually on subscription-based materials.

Additionally, K-State Libraries’ budget has decreased by approximately 11 percent since fiscal year 2014. Staffing positions have also been reduced by 30 percent in the last five years, in part to try to make up for the cost of subscription increases.

The cut, which is expected to be made later this spring, will be the largest to date. This decision will be made following an open forum held by K-State Libraries in February. Librarians will also reach out to discuss department and faculty needs.

Kansas State faculty can put forward purchase requests through June. Additionally, the interlibrary loan system can be used to request materials that the libraries do not own.

I'm Macy Davis a former Collegian culture editor and a 2019 graduate in English. When I was not reading and writing (both for class and for fun), I was also a member of the nationally ranked K-State speech team.