Twenty-one turnovers doom women’s basketball against TCU

0
39
K-State Wildcat junior forward Jasauen Beard shoots underneath the basket while TCU Horned Frog senior forward Amy Okonkwo attempts to block the ball. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

K-State’s women’s basketball team was blown out for the second time in a row on Wednesday night. This time it was a 61-47 drubbing at the hands of the TCU Horned Frogs.

The Wildcats were done in by poor early-shooting and heavy defensive pressure by the Horned Frogs. K-State turned the ball over 21 times in the game.

K-State turned the ball over six times before their first basket came at the 4:47 mark in the first quarter to make it 7-2. At that point, hey had only attempted three shots.

“We’re struggling in finding easy plays,” Jeff Mittie, head coach, said. “Our turnovers early in this game really were costly.”

Senior guard Kayla Goth scored 17 points and had five rebounds. She also turned the ball over six times and only had four assists in 40 minutes of play.

TCU was denying entry passes to K-State’s post-players and forcing the Wildcats to score off the dribble, a weakness of this team. K-State could not connect on passes. The Wildcats were doubled up in the first quarter, 18-9.

“We were trying to stay active off the ball,” Raegan Pebley, TCU head coach, said. “We are big believers in off-the-ball defense makes you successful.”

The second quarter found TCU just as cold as K-State. The Frogs did not score in the last 5:44 of the quarter. K-State only managed six points in that period.

A turnover by freshman guard Christianna Carr with 8:23 to play in the quarter gave the Wildcats their 11th turnover of the half, just as many points up to that time for the Wildcats.

TCU turned up the defensive pressure even more late in the second quarter, utilizing a situation full-court press. Still, K-State managed to keep the halftime deficit in single digits, 27-18. They had 13 turnovers.

01.30.19.WBBvsTCUatHalf.LW.01.jpg
Junior forward Jasauen Beard drives the basket for a layup during K-State's basketball game against TCU in the Octagon of Doom Wednesday. The Horned frogs beat the Wildcats 61-47. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

“It rattled us a little bit, they put a lot of pressure on our wings,” Peyton Williams, junior forward, said. “We were looking for opportunities we are used to seeing that they covered up in that particular zone.”

In the third quarter, Carr finally knocked down a three pointer. The Wildcats were 0 for their last 24 on such shots.

K-State looked like they might make a game of it in the third quarter, briefly cutting the TCU lead to just 10. TCU kept them at arm’s length, though. When K-State made a steal, offensive rebound or had solid ball movement on a possession, they would nullify that opportunity with a poor play.

At the end of the third quarter, senior forward Kali Jones found a baseline jumper at the buzzer. It was her second buzzer-beater of the night and K-State was down just 12.

Jones scored eight total points for K-State and pulled down two rebounds.

The Horned frogs took a 42-28 lead over the Wildcats into the final quarter, but K-State started the fourth on a 10-2 run.

The Wildcats had cut the lead all the way down to six, 44-38, and TCU’s top two scorers on the day were off the court with four fouls a piece.

Then, TCU went 5-5 from the floor and jumped back out to a huge lead on a 15-5 run of their own over 3:21 minutes of play.

“At the end, they made the right plays and we gotta make more in order to win a game like this,” Mittie said.

The Wildcats’ schedule does not get any easier after this. Their next game will be against a ranked Iowa State team in Manhattan on Saturday at 1 p.m.