K-State offense erupts in a 75-57 victory over Oklahoma State

0
166
K-State fans hold up signs to cheer on the men's basketball team during the game against Texas Tech in Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 22. The Wildcats won 58-45. (Emily Lenk | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State men’s basketball returned to Big 12 action with a dominant 75-57 win over Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Oklahoma, Saturday.

The Wildcats have struggled on the road against lower ranked opponents and entered with a subpar 2-4 road record on the season, but took care of a struggling Oklahoma State team on Saturday night.

K-State remained tied for first in the conference in it’s sixth straight conference win and held the Cowboys to a Big 12 game-low 57 points.

A 24-point performance for senior forward Dean Wade helped the Wildcats cruise to victory. Wade went 9-9 from the floor including 3-3 from three-point range. Wade also contributed in other areas with six rebounds, three assists and two blocks on the night.

The Wildcats got in a hole early, trailing 6-10, but following a TV timeout they would fight back to keep the game within reach.

A technical foul on Oklahoma State’s head coach Mike Boynton shifted the momentum in K-State’s favor. The free throws gave K-State the lead, and the Wildcats never looked back.

Following the technical foul, the Wildcats went on a 10-1 run to put the the score at 25-17, forcing the Cowboys to call a timeout.

The Cowboys struggled to keep pace with K-State late in the half as the Wildcats went on a 13-0 run to get the largest lead in the half by 16, leading Oklahoma State 40-27 going into the locker room. The Cowboys took a 3-minute-long scoring drought into halftime.

Wade and senior guard Barry Brown took over the first half for the Wildcats. The duo combined for 27 points. Wade went a perfect 5-5 on the floor, but only 2-4 from the free throw line, to put up 12 points in the half while Brown led all scorers with 15 points.

K-State shot a dominating 61.5 percent (16-26) from the floor and 53.8 percent (7-13) from three-point range.

Junior forward Cameron McGriff led the Cowboys with eight points but was limited because of two fouls in the first half. Oklahoma State took a decent 40.7 percent (11-27) field goal percentage and a 57.1 three-point percentage (4-7) into halftime trailing by 16.

The Wildcats opened the second half with a 6-0 run until the Cowboys ended a 10-minute-long scoring drought scoring with their first bucket since 3:17 in the first half, 13:59 remaining in the game.

K-State continued to dominate the game building a 31-point, 63-32 lead with ten minutes remaining in the game, the largest lead of the night.

The Wildcats would keep the hot shooting going to defeat the Cowboys 75-57 to get the sixth conference win in a row and holding Oklahoma State to its Big 12 season low.

Wade and Brown combined for 42 points on the night, nearly outscoring the Cowboys by themselves.

Junior guard Lindy Waters III led the Oklahoma State with 12 points.

The Wildcats finished the game with a blazing 53.1 field goal percentage and a 55.2 three-point percentage (16-29). The 16 made three-pointers were the second most in school history and most ever in a conference game. K-State dominated on the boards with 36 rebounds on the night, 29 of which were defensive boards.

K-State will look to continue the success at home as the Wildcats will try to end an eight-game losing streak against in-state rival Kansas in the Sunflower Showdown on Tuesday at 8 p.m. on ESPN.