Classes on as scheduled Thursday, K-State says

0
1923
Despite a winter storm mix of thunder and ice last night, K-State's Manhattan and Polytechnic campus will be open for class Thursday. (File Photo By Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

Thunder.

Ice.

And everything not nice.

These were the ingredients chosen to create the perfect snow day at K-State.

But President Myers accidentally added an extra ingredient into the concoction: road salt.

After a night of uncertainty on whether classes would be canceled at Kansas State University, the university announced early Thursday morning that classes will proceed as scheduled at its Manhattan and Polytechnic campuses. The Olathe campus will be closed until noon Thursday.

Students and staff who have concerns about the safety of their travel should contact their professors or supervisors, the university said.

Wildly changing weather across the state over the past week has kept each day interesting, to say the least. Subzero temperatures a week ago yielded to breezy, upper-60s temperatures over the weekend. But since Wednesday morning, freezing drizzle made for slick sidewalks at K-State, and a thunder ice storm hit Manhattan late Wednesday evening, icing over much of the state as well.

Since 3 p.m. Wednesday, the National Weather Service put Manhattan and northeast Kansas under a winter weather advisory until noon Thursday.

“Light snow with minor accumulations is possible before coming to an end later this morning,” the advisory reads. “Total accumulations of up to one-half inch of snow is possible. Strong northwest winds will gust as high as 35 mph today. The strong winds will cause wind chills to drop to as cold as five to fifteen degrees below zero at times today.”

K-State was a lone holdout going into Thursday morning as schools across the state, like Emporia State University and Washburn University, canceled early Wednesday evening, later joined by Wichita State. At the University of Kansas, all Thursday classes have been canceled.

With frigid temperatures and wind chills dipping well below zero today, do what you can to avoid going out. Maybe heat up a cup of hot cocoa and read a good book instead.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to reflect KU’s class cancellation change, which the university announced at 7:42 a.m. Thursday. Originally, KU classes before 10 a.m. were canceled.

I’m Bailey Britton, a freshman from Colby, KS. I am double majoring in print journalism and secondary education with a focus in English and journalism. This semester I am of the assistant news editors. Writing and reading have always been passions of mine. When I have free time, I like to play tennis and be active or curl up with a good book and a cup of coffee.