Winter sports continue while spring sports begin this week at K-State

0
68
The Kansas State baseball team faced off against the Mercer Bears on March 11, 2018. The Wildcats are set to begin their 2019 season on Friday.(Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

It’s that time of the spring semester where Kansas State’s winter sports are heating up and spring sports are getting started.

The women’s golf team will start off the week when it travels to Kyle, Texas, to compete in the Texas State Invitational at the Plum Creek Golf Course and begin the spring part of its season. This invitational is a two-day tournament that starts Monday, wrapping up on Tuesday.

The men’s basketball team will then travel to Austin, Texas, to battle the Texas Longhorns at 8 p.m. Tuesday. The Wildcats will take an eight-conference-game winning streak into this matchup after most recently defeating the Baylor Bears 70-63 on Saturday.

Bruce Weber’s team will be looking for revenge after the Longhorns came into Bramlage Coliseum on Jan. 2 and roughed up the Wildcats 67-47. The Wildcats will be competing to stay in control of the Big 12 Conference as they currently hold a 1.5 game lead above the rest of the Big 12. This game will be aired on ESPN2.

The men’s basketball team will also host the Iowa State Cyclones at Bramlage Coliseum at 3 p.m. Saturday. This will be another key matchup for the Wildcats to remain at the top of the Big 12.

The Wildcats won the first Iowa State matchup in Ames, Iowa, on Jan. 12 with a score of 58-57 on a game-winning layup by senior guard Barry Brown, so they will be going for a season sweep at home.

01.30.19.WBBvsTCU.OB-13.jpg
Junior forward Jasauen Beard shoots underneath the basket while TCU senior forward Amy Okonkwo attempts to block the ball. The Wildcats lost the Jan. 30 game against TCU 61-47. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

The women’s basketball team will then host the Baylor Bears at 7 p.m. Wednesday. The first round of this matchup went to then-ranked No. 4 Baylor 65-50 on Jan. 9. The good news for the Wildcats is they have been strong at home this season with a 10-3 record inside Bramlage.

On Friday, the tennis team will travel to Denton, Texas, to take on the North Texas Mean Green at 2 p.m. The Wildcats are 3-2 so far in the spring season, and hopefully they will improve their record at this matchup.

The tennis team will also compete against the Arizona Wildcats at noon Saturday, also in Denton.

Finally, the K-State baseball team will begin its season on Friday afternoon against the California State Matadors in Northridge, California, with the first pitch scheduled for 4 p.m. The Wildcats will also play the Matadors on Saturday and Sunday, beginning at 3 p.m. both days. These games can be heard on the radio at 1350 KMAN in Manhattan.