K-State women can’t contain top-ranked Bears

0
77
K-State wildcat senior guard Kayla Goth jumps to score two against the Baylor Bears. The Wildcats fell to the Bears tonight at Bramlage with a score of 71-48. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State women’s basketball were ran out of Bramlage Coliseum by the top-ranked Baylor Bears Wednesday night. The Bears shot down the Wildcats 71-48.

Early in the game, K-State abandoned its usual 2-3 zone defense in favor of a compacted man-to-man defense.

K-State collapsed into the lane to try to take away Baylor’s significant height advantage, sometimes as many as four Wildcats were in the lane. This allowed the Bears to get any shots they wanted outside of the paint.

“We were trying to get a lot of help to the post,” Jeff Mittie, K-State’s head coach, said. “It allowed [senior guard Chloe] Jackson to walk into her 15-footer probably way too many times, it allowed [junior guard] Juicy [Landrum] to get loose a little bit.”

The Bears found easy two-point shots at the free throw line over K-State players throughout the first quarter.

K-State trailed Baylor 21-9 at the end of the first. Baylor shot 64 percent from the field in the period. K-State shot just 24 percent and were 1-9 from three-point range.

If there was one thing K-State did very well in the first half it was shut down six-foot-seven senior center Kalani Brown, who scored just three points in the first half.

“They just congested the paint and made it hard for me to get touches on the ball, they made it hard for my teammates to pass me the ball,” Brown said.

Landrum picked up the slack for Baylor though. She scored 13 points in the first half.

K-State trailed 40-22 at halftime after a 19-13 second quarter. Although it didn’t show up on the scoreboard, the Wildcats closed the shooting percentage gap.

Through halftime, junior forward Peyton Williams paced K-State with seven points. Senior guard Kayla Goth had six points.

In the third quarter, K-State resorted to a full-court press to try to force Baylor into mistakes. They turned the Bears over six times in the quarter. Baylor had just eight in the whole first half.

Despite the improved defense, Baylor shot 71 percent in the third quarter and stretched their lead to 61-34. K-State was outscored 21-12 in the third and shot just 17 percent.

The Wildcats were out-rebound 33-29 in the game. The Wildcats forced Baylor into 20 turnovers in the loss.

“There weren’t that many good shots available, we couldn’t execute well enough,” Mittie said.

Baylor shot 58 percent and were 2-4 from three-point range. K-State 4-24 from three and 27 percent overall.

“I thought we were outstanding beginning the game and throughout the game defending the three-ball,” Kim Mulkey, Baylor head coach, said.

Williams led K-State with 11 points, pulling down six rebounds. She also had three steals.

Goth’s three assists tied her with Shalee Lehning for first place in assists in a single season at 229. She scored seven points for K-State.

K-State’s next action will be at No. 15 Texas in Austin on Sunday at 4 p.m. The game will be broadcast on the K-State Sports Radio Network.