Minute in My Shoes: Two high school sweethearts still dating at K-State

0
490
Edward Walters (left), sophomore in open option, and Katia Gregov, sophomore in nutrition and health, show off their shoes for the camera. (Peter Loganbill | Collegian Media Group)

Some years ago, Katia Gregov, sophomore in nutrition and health, was a freshman in high school on an orchestra trip in Nashville, Tennessee. It was on this trip that she met a boy, Edward Walters, sophomore in open option. The two are both students at Kansas State University now — and they’re still dating to this day.

When they attended Webster Groves High School near St. Louis, the two were far from home on the long bus trip to Nashville. It was a great chance for them to get to know each other, as awkward as it may have been when it started.

“I didn’t even know he existed until he awkwardly turned around on the coach bus and just started staring at me, and I was just talking to him,” Gregov said.

She continued to warm up to him on the ride and complained about how her feet were hurting due to walking around Nashville all day.

“I had just bought these flip-flops and I was showing him what they were,” Gregov said. “That whole weekend was a just a bunch of flirty tricks the entire time.”

Once they got home to St. Louis, the two started spending more time together.

“We just started hanging out,” Gregov said. “He was a lot more of an introvert then than he is now.”

When it came to the point when Walters should’ve made a move, Gregov said he didn’t have the guts.

“We were at my best friend’s house and I was swinging on the swing, and he was so terrified to ask me out that I just did it,” Gregov said. “Then I jumped off the swing and hugged him. Five minutes later he was like, ‘Ugh, but I wanted to do it! Can we have a do-over?’ and that was how things started.”

She doesn’t let him live that moment down.

“Jokingly, I say ‘I wear the pants all the time now,’” Gregov said.

As for Walters, it is truly a moment he will never forget.

“I think she hit the nail on the head,” Walters said. “She wears the pants.”

I'm Pete Loganbill and I'm one of the assistant news editors at the Collegian. After transferring from Johnson County Community College last semester, I am now a junior in Public Relations. I believe constant communication leads to progress, no matter how difficult a comment may be for me or anyone to hear. Contact me at ploganbill@collegianmedia.com.