Kelly-Spencer campaign found in minor violation of expense reporting

0
318

The Kelly-Spencer campaign was found to be in minor violation of campaign rules after a Student Governing Association hearing Monday evening. This is the third minor violation committed by the campaign.

The hearing came after Chelsea Phillips, sophomore in business administration, filed a complaint stating the Kelly-Spencer campaign has expenses that exceed the limit by more than five percent.

The board found the campaign not in violation of expenses exceeding the limit by five percent which would have been a major violation. The campaign was, however, in violation of misreporting campaign expenses.

Ryan Kelly, junior in communication studies and speaker of the student senate, is required to submit a revised expense report that shows payment to Victor Valdez, senior in economics, because Valdez charges clients for website development that is done outside of his job at K-State IT.

The board estimated that the report should show $148.57 for Valdez’s work.

The campaign also must remove expenses listed for campaign finance, campaign management and social media marketing from their expense report because the skills used by those individuals in previous lines of work are not the same as the individuals do not charge others for their skills or services currently.

These sanctions must be complied with by 5 p.m. on Feb. 19.

I’m Bailey Britton, a freshman from Colby, KS. I am double majoring in print journalism and secondary education with a focus in English and journalism. This semester I am of the assistant news editors. Writing and reading have always been passions of mine. When I have free time, I like to play tennis and be active or curl up with a good book and a cup of coffee.