K-State baseball struggles to find offense against Fresno State

0
81

Kansas State baseball’s starting pitchers struggled to find control in its 11-3 loss to Fresno State on Friday.

Junior right-hander Tyler Eckberg went three innings for the Wildcats. Eckberg struggled to find his command early, giving up seven runs in three innings.

The Bulldogs collected 13 hits and drew six walks in nine innings.

Sophomore catcher Zach Presno of the Bulldogs singled to left in the second inning advancing senior infielder Nolan Dempsey and scoring senior infielder McCarthy Tatum. Sophomore outfielder Miles Tomczak grounded out, driving in Dempsey. This gave Fresno State an early 2-0 lead.

The Bulldogs had a five-run third inning against Eckberg.

Tatum went 2-5 and drove in two of the five runs, scoring one in the inning. Dempsey singled through the left side of the field, advancing to second on the throw. Tatum scored on the hit before Presno hit a two-run homer to right center, giving Fresno State its 7-0 lead.

Sophomore right-hander Quinton Potter got in two innings of work for the Wildcats while giving up two runs. A wild pitch allowed sophomore outfielder Nate Thimjon to score the eighth run of the game for Fresno State in the fourth.

Dempsey scored in the fifth on a single by Presno.

In the sixth, redshirt sophomore infielder JT Arruda singled to third base driving in freshman outfielder EJ Andrews. This run put the Bulldogs up 10-0.

The Wildcats finally brought a run across the plate in the bottom of the sixth.

Second baseman junior Cameron Thompson singled to shortstop for his only hit of the night. Senior shortstop Thomas Hughes scored the first run for K-State. The run was charged to Fresno State junior starter Ryan Jenson who went six strong innings.

The Bulldogs scored their eleventh run of the game on a walk issued to senior outfielder Zach Ashford in the seventh inning.

Freshman outfielder Jeffrey Boggess homered to right in the bottom of the ninth. Boggess and freshman outfielder Dylan Phillips scored the second and third run of the night for K-State.

K-State will drop to 2-4 on the year, losing its last two games.

The Wildcats will look to bounce back against Utah in the second game of the Tony Gwynn Legacy on Saturday. First pitch is scheduled for 3 p.m. and can be heard on KMAN radio.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.