K-State tennis snags three straight singles wins

0
17

Kansas State tennis is on fire with three consecutive wins, knocking off No. 39 Southern Methodist.

Freshmen Karine-Marion Job, Maria Ponomareva, and sophomore Anna Turco dominated the final three singles matches of the afternoon to grab a thrilling 4-3 comeback win over the Mustangs on Feb. 21 at Body First Indoor Tennis Center in Manhattan.

The day started off with a contest in doubles.

SMU won the first round of doubles, defeating sophomore Margot Decker and Turco. Big 12 player of the week, Job, and junior Ines Mesquita defeated SMU seniors Vivienne Kulicke and Ana Perez-Lopez, 6-4, at No. 2 doubles. Duo Ponomareva and freshman Ioana Gheorghita lost 6-4 in the final round of doubles to junior Tiffany Hollebeck and senior Karina Traxler of SMU.

“Four weekends in a row is never easy and to be that long away from home,” head coach Jordan Smith told K-State Sports.

K-State won four of six singles matches.

Job beat Ana Perez-Lopez 6-3, 6-3. Turco defeated freshman Katherine Jakeway of SMU 7-6, 6-1 in the fifth spot. Ponomareva defeated Traxler 6-0, 6-2 to give the Wildcats the victory at home.

“I know it can be a little harder to play at home because of the nerves and people that we know are watching,” Smith told K-State Sports. “I thought we handled that great for the most part today. I think we’re doing a lot better. It kind of came down to the last match in doubles, little unfortunate that a couple calls didn’t go our way.”

The Wildcats will host Cincinnati and UMKC at a doubleheader at home on Saturday. Admission to all home matches is free and the first round of the doubleheader will begin at noon.