Baseball beats Utah 6-4 in California tournament

0
45
The team celebrates during the game against the Cowley County Tigers on Oct. 4, 2018. The baseball team won against Utah Saturday on the road. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball team improved to 3-4 on the season with a 6-4 win over Utah on Saturday.

This was the team’s second game of the Tony Gwynn Legacy Tournament, hosted by San Diego State in San Diego, California.

Freshman left-hander Jordan Wicks started on the mound for K-State in seven strong innings. Wicks surrendered two runs on six hits and struck out six batters.

K-State collected six runs on 11 hits on the day against Utah. The Wildcats knocked redshirt sophomore left-handed pitcher Riley Pierce for Utah out of the game early. Pierce gave up five runs and two walks over on five hits over just three innings.

In the first inning, junior second baseman Cameron Thompson singled to right for his first of two hits driving in two runs.

The third inning had a lot of offense. Junior third baseman Caleb Littlejim homered off of Pierce driving in junior catcher Chris Ceballos. Sophomore first baseman Terrence Spurlin advanced to second on a passed ball which scored junior outfielder Will Brennan. Freshman outfielder Dylan Phillips singled to first. Spurlin scored on the throw to second. K-State came out of the inning with a 5-0 lead.

The bottom of the third inning was the first spark of offense for Utah. Senior outfielder Erick Migueles hit a sacrifice fly down the left field line that allowed junior infielder Oliver Dunn to advance to second. Junior outfielder Dominic Foscalina scored on the sacrifice fly for the only run in the inning for Utah.

Utah scored another run in the fourth inning against Wicks on a single. K-State was up 5-2.

The Wildcats scored their final run of the day on a single by Phillips sending Brennan home from third.

Freshman left-hander Eric Torres and junior right-hander Brett Lockwood each gave up a run to Utah in relief. A double to right and a wild pitch allowed Utah to pull within two but that’s all K-State’s pitching staff would allow on the base paths.

Senior right-hander Mitch Zubradt recorded the save for the Wildcats with 1.2 innings of relief work without allowing a hit.

K-State will wrap up their California road trip with final game of the Tony Gwynn Legacy Tournament on Sunday against San Diego State. First pitch is scheduled for 4 p.m.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.