K-State rowing hits the water for the first time after months of cold weather

0
111

After more than a month of freezing temperatures and grueling indoor workouts, the Kansas State University women’s rowing team got some action on the water against the University of Oklahoma in Oklahoma City.

This is the first time the Wildcats have hit the water since winter camp in Austin, Texas over winter break.

Patrick Sweeney, head coach, seemed impressed with the crew after the work that was put in on Saturday:

“We had good training runs with Oklahoma,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports on Saturday. “The athletes learned a lot and us coaches got a lot of information. We are looking forward to getting on the water again in California to continue the progress.”

While many of the rowers were eager to get back on the water and race, the freshmen had their first opportunity to show everyone what they were made of.

The goal moving forward after this weekend will be to continue working on technique and change some seating assignments. Both of these objectives will be easy fixes as they are changes that can be made on the water once it gets warmer.

The biggest takeaway from this weekend for Sweeney, he said, is that the team is in good physical shape as they continue to build up for their next race.

The Wildcats will see some more time on the water when they head to the Hornet Invitational in Sacramento, California on March 16 and 17.

Molly Hackett
I'm Molly Hackett, the assistant sports editor this semester. I attended St. James Academy just outside of Kanas City for high school and I am currently a junior in mass communications with an emphasis in digital media and a minor in business. In my free time, I love to ride my moped, spend time with friends and family, play sports, drink coffee and take naps.