K-State men’s basketball one game closer to Big 12 title with win at TCU

0
444

Kansas State men’s basketball moved one step closer to a Big 12 Championship with a 64-52 win over TCU in Fort Worth, Texas, Monday night.

The Wildcats’ win moved them to 13-4 in Big 12 play and 23-7 overall on the season. They sit in a tie with Texas Tech at the top of the league with one game to play in the regular season.

The game started out a little shaky for K-State, who found itself down 7-4 early. The Wildcats looked rough shooting from any sort of distance.

A dunk from junior forward Makol Mawien with just over 15 minutes to play in the first half put K-State up 8-7. They did not relinquish that lead for the rest of the game.

The Wildcats pulled ahead of the Horned Frogs as their three-point shooting began to wake up.

To finish off the half, K-State dribbled out the shot clock and senior guard Kamau Stokes nailed a deep three to put K-State up nine going into the half, 36-27.

The Horned Frogs did not score in the last 2:42 of the half, and they would not score again until there was 15:44 left in the second half.

Meanwhile, the Wildcats started the second half off with a 10-0 run to balloon their lead to 19 points.

A dunk by junior forward Xavier Sneed put K-State up 21 points with 15 minutes to play.

From there, the Horned Frogs began to threaten K-State’s lead. They cut it to single-digits with eight minutes to play.

A pair of free throws cut the lead to its second half low point of seven points just two minutes later.

Then, Stokes found a clutch three point basket to put K-State’s lead back to 10.

TCU seemed to give up at that point. They did not try to extend the game by fouling or gain extra possessions by pressing.

K-State managed to waste away the last two minutes of the game to salt the win and send TCU’s seniors out with a loss in their final home game for the third season in a row.

K-State was led by senior guard Barry Brown, who had 16 points. He also dished out three assists.

Brown was one of four Wildcats in double figures. Stokes had 15, Sneed had 11 and Mawien had 10. Senior forward Dean Wade was right behind them with nine points.

The Wildcats will wait to see what the result of Kansas’s game on Tuesday night it. A loss would mean that K-State only has to worry about Texas Tech.

K-State could clinch a share of the Big 12 title on Saturday on Senior Night against Oklahoma, and if Texas Tech loses earlier in the day, it would be to win an outright title. That game will be on ESPN2 with tip-off at 5 p.m.