K-State men’s golf finishes third at Colleton River tournament

0
26
Then-sophomore Roland Massimino picks up a golf ball at Colbert Hills Golf Course on March 9, 2017. (Archive Photo by John Benfer | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s golf team finished third in the Colleton River Collegiate tournament early this week after two rounds on Monday and the final 18 holes on Tuesday.

The tournament was played on the Dye Course at Colleton River in Bluffton, South Carolina — a 7,196-yard, par 72 course. The tournament was hosted by Michigan State.

The Wildcats carded a 4-over-par 868 over the three rounds, mostly led by a 6-under second round.

After the first 18 holes, K-State sat in eighth place with a 10-over par 298. K-State was paced in that round by junior Jacob Eklund and senior Roland Massimino, who each shot a 1-over 73.

A great second round shot K-State up to fifth place as the Wildcats headed into the final day. Once again, Eklund and Massimino tied for K-State’s best round. This time, they each took 68 strokes, 4-under-par. K-State was 6-under as a team.

“The wind calmed down a little in the afternoon and we [were] able to take advantage and make a few birdies,” Grant Robbins, head coach, said to K-State Sports on Monday. “It looks like the conditions will be tough again tomorrow morning. If we can stay patient and play our game, we have a great opportunity to move up.”

K-State shot an even par in the final round, but still moved up two spots thanks to rough rounds from Penn State and Iowa.

K-State ended up sandwiched between Iowa and Iowa State, which are ranked 45th and 47th in the nation, respectively.

K-State senior JC Campbell shot a 1-under 71 in the third round, the best round for the Wildcats. Eklund shot a 72 and Missimino carded a 73.

Eklund’s score for the tournament was the best by a Wildcat. He carded a 213 for the tournament, 3-under-par.

In the individual competition, Eklund finished seventh and Missimino finished in a tie for eighth overall. 216 strokes was par for the whole tournament.

K-State’s next action will be at the Mission Inn Spring Spectacular, hosted by George Mason University on March 16 and 17.