K-State women knocked out of NCAA Tournament by Michigan

0
37

The ninth-seeded Kansas State women’s basketball team’s season ended in an 84-54 loss to eighth-seeded Michigan in Louisville, Kentucky, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

K-State was ultimately done in by Michigan shooting a scorching 56 percent from the field and 39 percent from three-point range. The Wildcats shot just 36 percent on the day.

K-State took an early lead in the game behind some quick scoring from senior guard Kayla Goth but allowed the Wolverines to go on a 9-0 run midway through the first quarter.

Goth finished her final collegiate game with eight points and six assists. She turned the ball over five times.

The Wolverines took an 18-11 lead into the quarter break.

In the second quarter, a three-pointer from sophomore guard Rachel Ranke cut the Wolverine lead to just three points with 5:53 to play in the half.

Michigan once again responded with a run, this time it scored 17 unanswered points over the course of almost five minutes. At the half, K-State trailed 43-28.

The Wildcats did not have an answer all day for the Wolverine’s frontcourt trio of senior center Hallie Thome, junior forward Kayla Robbins and freshman forward Naz Hillmon.

Thome had eight points and eight rebounds, Robbins came off the bench for 13 points and Hillmon contributed 17 off the bench.

K-State was left in the dust in the third quarter. The Wolverines led 23 points by the end of the quarter. Michigan extended that lead by seven in the final stanza with a 21-14 quarter.

The Wolverines out rebounded the Wildcats 50-19, virtually eliminating K-State’s ability to get second-chance points with 33 defensive rebounds.

Freshman guard Christianna Carr lead lead the Wildcats in scoring with a game-high of 27 points. She was 8-20 from the field.

K-State was a very young team this season. They graduate just two players in Goth and forward Kali Jones.

Leading-scorer junior forward Peyton Williams will return as will starters Carr and Ranke.