K-State to offer lower tuition for out-of-state students from 5 states

0
1117
A hanging piece of decor at Berney Family Welcome Center on Nov. 22, 2018. (Alanud Alanazi | Collegian Media Group)

Some out-of-state students coming to Kansas State University will now pay a lower tuition rate — although not quite at in-state tuition levels — following a Kansas Board of Regents decision authorizing K-State to implement the lower rate.

First-time, full-time students from Arkansas, California, Colorado, Oklahoma and Texas will now pay a rate of 150 percent, or a 50 percent increase over the in-state tuition rate.

Currently, K-State also offers 150 percent tuition to out-of-state students from Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio and Wisconsin as part of the separate Midwest Student Exchange Program, a multi-state coalition that offers reciprocal tuition rates to students looking to go to out-of-state schools within the coalition.

The adjustment in tuition policy likely comes as part of K-State’s fight against continued decreasing enrollment after a student body population peak in 2014.

As part of the university’s Strategic Enrollment Plan, other changes have included the phase-out of the Putnam Scholarship, a scholarship in which incoming students with a 32-or-above ACT score and a high school GPA of at least 3.85 could receive an annual payment of $9,000 toward tuition, renewable an additional three times.

This phase-out will “allow colleges greater flexibility to target their financial resources to enrollment priorities,” according to a statement from Charles Taber, university provost, and Pat Bosco, vice president of student life and dean of students.

Under the enrollment plan, most university-funded scholarships now have lower GPA requirements for renewal. Previously, most academic merit scholarships required students to maintain at least a 3.5 GPA. The changes have lowered that requirement to 3.0.

Under President Richard Myers’ tenure, the university has shifted to giving greater focus to out-of-state and international student recruitment.

The university is also rolling out a new enrollment management structural framework to be put in place after Bosco retires later this year. That includes hiring for four positions: vice president of student life and dean of students, vice provost for enrollment management, vice provost for student success and associate provost for institutional research.

Rafael Garcia
I'm Rafael Garcia, and I'm a senior in journalism and news editor for the K-State Collegian. I believe that much of the world's problems come from a lack of understanding of other people, but by telling other people's stories and finding the good in the world, I think we can increase our understanding and appreciation of each other. Questions, comments, concerns, news tips? Email me at rgarcia@kstatecollegian.com.