K-State struggles in 17-2 loss to former conference foe Missouri

0
28
K-State will have a day off before a weekend series against Creighton. First pitch of the series is scheduled for 6:30 p.m on Friday. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

The K-State baseball team struggled in a 17-2 loss to No. 19 Missouri on Wednesday afternoon.

The Wildcat pitchers managed to strike out ten, but allowed 11 walks in the loss. Junior starting pitcher Kasey Ford threw two innings allowing five runs on four hits with three walks and a pair of strikeouts in the loss.

Freshman starting pitcher Tommy Springer hurled five scoreless and struck out seven in the victory for the Tigers. Missouri pitchers struck out 12 in the dominating win.

Missouri’s junior third baseman Austin James went 3-4 at the plate, collecting six RBIs including a three-run home run. Senior designated hitter Tony Ortiz went 3-3 with a walk and four RBIs for the Tigers.

The Tigers jumped out to an early lead scoring two runs in the first two innings. Ford tossed two innings allowing five runs walking three and striking out two.

K-State got into another deep hole early after a four-run third inning that was kicked off with an RBI single by Ortiz, his first RBI of the afternoon.

A five-run fourth inning capped off by a three-run homer by James off junior pitcher Caleb Littlejim, but the Tigers were up comfortably.

There were six more for Missouri in the fifth inning. James collected two more RBIs with a double.

The first K-State run came in the seventh inning as an unearned run after a single by junior outfielder Will Brennan allowed sophomore catcher Jordan Maxson to score on a throwing error.

K-State earned a second run in the eighth inning with a bases-loaded walk to junior infielder Cameron Thompson.

The Tigers scored 17 runs off 12 hits with one error improving to 19-10-1 on the season. The Wildcats scored two runs off six hits with one error as K-State moved to 12-18 on the season.

K-State will have a day off before a weekend series against Creighton. First pitch of the series is scheduled for 6:30 p.m on Friday.