Wildcat tennis team sweeps Mountaineers at home

0
26

The Kansas State tennis team defeated the West Virginia Mountaineers on Friday by a score of 7-0, while also picking up the team’s first Big 12 conference win this year.

The Wildcats started the competition strong by clinching the doubles point for the third time in their last four matches at the number one and two positions.

The sophomore tandem of Anna Turco and Margot Decker defeated Sofia Duran and Anastasiia Bovolskaia, 6-0.

At the number two spot, freshman Karine-Marion Job and junior Ines Mesquita defeated Paula Goetz and Nicole Roc, 6-1.

The final doubles match between the Wildcats and Mountaineers went unfinished due to conference rules.

“It was a solid performance overall by the team,” head coach Jordan Smith said to K-State Sports. “We’ve made a lot of progress in doubles recently and won three of the last four doubles points. This helps us a lot in gaining momentum early in matches. An area the team has been working hard to improve. So, it was good we got the doubles point today and then started well in singles.”

K-State continued to keep the momentum going into singles play by winning five out of the six matches in straight sets.

The first singles point was picked up by Job at the number four spot against Courteau, 6-2, 6-1. The next singles point was quickly followed by Turco on court two over Duran, 6-2, 6-2. Job and Turco both have a singles record of 12-6, which marks the team’s best singles record for the season so far.

The Wildcats continued to pick up convincing singles wins which was maintained by Decker on court three by Bovolskaia, 6-2, 6-1. Linares won from the number one spot over Christina Jordan, 6-2, 6-3.

Gheorghita bested Caputo, 6-4, 6-2. The final point of the day was won by Mesquita in three sets, 6-2, 4-6, (10-7), over Nicole Roc.

“If we continue to believe in ourselves during stressful moments then we should do well against Iowa State,” Smith said. “They are going to bring their best against us and the team is ready for this challenge and to make them earn each point.”

The Cats will hold their final home match of the season at Mike Goss Tennis Stadium at 1 p.m. Sunday against the Iowa State Cyclones.