Baseball team drops weekend series against Creighton 2-1

0
20

Despite a glimmer of hope on Saturday, the Kansas State baseball team ultimately dropped the three-game series against the Creighton Bluejays 2-1 over the weekend in Omaha, Nebraska.

After losing Friday’s game, K-State took game two of the series before dropping the final game on Sunday.

On Friday night, a four-run third inning from Creighton made all the difference, with the Wildcats losing 4-0 in the series opener. The Bluejays brought ten batters to the plate in the third inning, and K-State starting freshman Griffin Hassall pitched 6.2 innings, giving up four runs, striking out six and walking seven batters.

Sophomore Terrence Spurlin swung a relatively hot bat for K-State and recorded two of the five hits in K-State’s losing effort.

On Saturday, K-State bounced back and took game two against Crieghton with a score of 9-2, snapping a three-game losing streak.

The Wildcats jumped out to a hot start with a four-run third inning, followed by a three-run fourth inning. Spurlin batted four-for-five at home plate with one RBI, and junior Will Brennan collected two RBIs.

The Wildcats added to their lead with one run in both the sixth and eighth innings, with a solo home run by sophomore Zach Kokoska and an RBI single by senior Thomas Hughes.

Starting freshman Jordan Wicks pitched seven innings with nine strikeouts, allowing only two runs off six hits on Saturday.

Ultimately, the Bluejays took the series in an 11-1 win Sunday afternoon.

Starting sophomore Jaxson Passino lasted only one inning, allowing four runs on six hits.

Meanwhile, Bluejays starting senior Evan Johnson pitched five scoreless innings, striking out eight and walking four.

Junior Kasey Ford provided some stability for the Wildcats’ bullpen and pitched the final three innings for K-State, striking out five and allowing one run.

K-State’s only run on Sunday came in the seventh inning off a double by freshman Dylan Phillips, driving in Hughes. The Wildcats were held to four hits and left eight players on base.

The Wildcats will travel home for a one-game matchup with Omaha on Wednesday at 6 p.m. before they head on the road for a weekend series with Texas beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m.