Tennis team picks up Sunday win over Iowa State as regular season wraps up

0
35
K-State tennis bested Iowa State at home on Sunday, April 7, 2019. (Archive photo by Nathan Jones | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State tennis team concluded its season slate of home games at the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium on Sunday afternoon with a dominant 6-1 win over the Iowa State Cyclones.

The Wildcats, currently 12-9 overall this season and 2-6 in the Big 12 Conference, continued their winning streak and finished their season with a convincing 8-3 record in home games.

The match with the Cyclones started with doubles wins for the Wildcats.

Sophomore Maria Linares teamed up with freshman Ioana Gheorghita in No. 3 doubles to defeat Ekaterina Repina and Margarita Timakova, 6-3.

Freshman Karine-Marion Job and junior Ines Mesquita followed up with a No. 2 doubles win over Maty Cancini and Annabella Bonadonna, 6-3.

Ultimately, the No. 1 doubles competition remained unfinished as the sophomore pairing of Anna Turco and Margot Decker led Regina Espindola and Ekaterina Grib 5-4.

As the Sunday match progressed into singles play, the Wildcats continued picking up wins, starting with Turco, who bested Espindola 6-2, 6-0 in No. 2 singles, marking Turco’s fifth consecutive singles win.

Job also took care of her court, winning No. 4 singles 6-3, 6-2 over Repina. Turco and Job are currently tied for the team best singles record this season.

The next singles win was by Gheorghita in No. 6 over Timakova, 6-3, 6-3.

K-State continued picking up wins as Mesquita was victorious over Bonadonna in No. 5 singles with a score of 7-6 (7-1), 6-4, making it Mesquita’s third singles win in a row.

The No. 3 and No. 1 singles matches both found the players in three-set situations. Linares got the final singles win of the day at No. 1 as she defeated Cancini, 7-5, 5-7, 11-9. Earlier, Decker was not able to make it a sweep for the Wildcats when she fell to Grib at No. 3 with a score of 6-0, 2-6, 9-11.

“We feel like we’ve been there every match, it was just a matter of time to get all of the pieces together,” head coach Jordan Smith said to K-State Sports. “For us to come out here against West Virginia and Iowa State, get two doubles points and, for the most part, do very well in singles, that was important for us, and that’s something we’ve been trying to build on. Looking forward to see how we do in practice this week, as we play KU on Saturday.”

The Wildcats will end their regular season in the Big 12 Conference against the Kansas Jayhawks in Lawrence on Saturday, April 13 at 1 p.m.

After the Wildcats face the Jayhawks, they will compete in the Big 12 Tournament, which will be held at the University of Kansas starting April 18 and ending April 21.