Track and field wins three events at Sun Angel Classic

0
31

The Kansas State track and field teams ended the 40th annual Sun Angel Classic in Tempe, Arizona, with three NCAA top 10 performances and three event victories.

Sophomore Tejaswin Shankar made his season debut in the high jump on Saturday. Shankar missed on his first two attempts and cleared it on his third attempt at 2.15 meters.

With two more attempts after the initial clearance, Shankar cleared a height of 2.20 meters and 2.25 meters. The last clearance was the second-best of his collegiate outdoor career and also ranks second in the NCAA this season.

Redshirt freshman Kassidy Johnson ran the 800-meter race in 2:04.45. This was the third-fastest time in K-State outdoor history for the event.

Sophomore Cayli Hume led early in the women’s open 800 meters with a finish of 2:08.63. This shaved over five seconds off Hume’s personal best and helped her win the event. Redshirt freshman Alex Ferguson finished the same event in 2:09.56, which placed two athletes for K-State in the top three of the event.

Senior Ranae McKenzie finished sixth in the women’s 400-meter hurdles, where she made her season debut. McKenzie ran the event in 57.58 seconds for the Wildcats.

In the men’s 400-meter race, K-State had two individuals record personal bests and place in the top six of the event. Freshman Antoni Hoyte-Small ran it in 46.92 to finish third overall, while junior Justin Davis placed sixth with a time of 47.53.

Senior Tom Pyle had two personal bests of his own in both the men’s long jump and the 100 meters. Pyle ran the 100-meter dash in 10.87 to finish 11th overall and jumped 7.42 meters in the long jump on two attempts.

The women’s team finished third overall in the 4×400-meter relay with a time of 3:40.09. The men’s team ran the event in 3:11.98, which was a season-best time.

Next up for the Wildcats will be the Triton Invitational in San Diego, California, and the Woodman Classic in Wichita.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.