K-State hosts 40th annual Ed Chartrand Memorial Soccer Tournament

0
56
Soccer flags wave on the sidelines before the game against Central Arkansas on Sept. 8, 2017, in the K-State Soccer Stadium. (Archive photo by Nathan Jones | Collegian Media Group)

As part of a tradition going back decades, the Kansas State soccer club hosted the 40th annual Ed Chartrand Memorial Soccer Tournament in the Manhattan area over the weekend.

The tournament featured soccer club teams from K-State, the University of Kansas, Truman State University, Texas A&M, Washington University (women’s only), the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (men’s only) and Creighton University (women’s only).

Washington ultimately took the women’s championship with a 1-0 victory over KU, while Truman State defeated K-State 1-0 to take the men’s championship. Both championship games took place Sunday afternoon.

The tournament was co-hosted between K-State, the Chartrand Charitable Foundation and the 1st Infantry, 5th Field Artillery Division of Fort Riley.

Ed Chartrand, the tournament’s namesake, was a member of the K-State soccer club from 1974 to 1978 during a time where interest in soccer was still growing in the United States. Chartrand helped spread the word about soccer both on the K-State campus as well as colleges throughout the Midwest.

Chartrand passed away suddenly at the age of 22 shortly before his graduation from K-State. A year after his death, the K-State soccer club decided to host an annual memorial tournament in Chartrand’s honor.

“They decided the best way to honor him would be to continue promoting soccer, so we held a tournament that fall,” tournament director Dennis Cook said in a press release. “We only had three teams — K-State, Iowa State and Fort Riley. It was still a lot of work for a bunch of college guys. … I thought it would be one and done. But with the support of the Chartrand family, generations of soccer players and K-State, this year we celebrate 40 years as one of the top tournaments in the region.”

Every year, the Chartrand Charitable Foundation awards a $500 scholarship to a member of the K-State men’s and women’s club soccer teams. Jackson Ralston, senior in animal sciences and industry, and Morgan Strader, junior in biology and animal sciences and industry, were the 2019 recipients.

“It is our mission to expand the opportunities for young soccer players to play quality soccer and be afforded scholarships to assist them in pursuing their education,” Art Chartrand, president of the Chartrand Charitable Foundation, said in a press release.