K-State baseball, Silver Key host tailgate, tour for local Boys and Girls Club

0
78
Freshmen Pitcher Griffin Hassall mid pitch in game against TCU, the Wildcats won 7-4 at Tointon Stadium in Manhattan. The baseball team held a fundraiser along with the game, in coordination with the Silver Key Sophomore Honorary. (Dalton Wainscott | Collegian Media Group)

Before the game versus TCU, the Kansas State baseball team hosted members of the Manhattan Boys and Girls Club on Thursday night for a special event in collaboration with the Silver Key Sophomore Honorary.

Silver Key members hosted a tailgate for elementary and middle school students across Manhattan before the Wildcats squared off against the No. 19 TCU Horned Frogs.

While at Tointon Family Stadium, the boys and girls were given both a tour of the baseball facilities and the opportunity to meet K-State baseball players and coaches. The kids also got to walk on the field before the game started.

The event allowed 30 members of the Manhattan Boys and Girls Club from Lee Elementary School, Marlatt Elementary School and Eisenhower Middle School to attend the game so they could see what being a college athlete is really like.

Silver Key is an independent student organization created to serve K-State and the greater Manhattan area. It aims to support student activities and create a sense of community and commitment among all students.

Lucy Schermerhorn, sophomore in biology, said she has enjoyed the opportunity to give back as part of Silver Key.

“I was always involved in high school, so when I got the opportunity to apply for [a] sophomore honor society, I was really excited because I love doing service projects like this,” Schermerhorn said.

Abby Cheesebrough, freshman in elementary education, was just inducted into Silver Key a few weeks ago, and she said she likes the sense of community it provides.

“I felt isolated in my dorm, so I felt this was a way to get into the community and learn more about Manhattan,” Cheesebrough said. “I am going to be here for the next three or four years, so it’s an opportunity to get involved.”

Members serve in the organization from April of their freshman year to April of their sophomore year, and they choose the organizations they want to serve while they plan service opportunities.

Silver Key is led by two advisers from the College of Human Ecology, Amanda Fairbanks and Kathryn Harth. The two are always looking for ways to get the group involved with the Manhattan community.

“We really love to partner with other organizations who are involved with service projects as well in order to make a greater impact,” Harth said.