K-State club volleyball takes on nationals in Denver

0
146

After a season of playing and practicing, the K-State men’s and women’s club volleyball teams are headed to the national competitions in Denver to play in the NCVF Volleyball Championships.

The tournament will run from April 18 to 20, making it a full weekend of competition.

Throughout their season, both club teams have played in five or six tournaments all over the Midwest to get ready for the national tournament.

Jenalee Dickson, sophomore in electrical engineering, is a member of the women’s club team, and she said she is excited for a weekend full of volleyball.

“I’m excited to play teams from all over the nation,” Dickson said. “We usually only play teams that are from the Midwest during the season, so when we come to nationals, we play teams from the East Coast and the West Coast. It’s also exciting to see how we match up against teams from the coasts.”

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.49.05 PM.png
The roster for the Kansas State women's club volleyball team. (Courtesy Photo)

The teams representing K-State make up one out of the 235 schools that are attending the event.

The teams played in pool play on Thursday and will continue part of the way through Friday. The teams that lose on Friday will head into challenge rounds to determine if they will move onto the playoffs on Saturday to finish out the national competition.

Screen Shot 2019-04-18 at 12.49.26 PM.png
The roster for the Kansas State men's club volleyball team. (Courtesy Photo)

K-State students who want to join the team can go to tryouts in early September. The club teams practice on Monday and Wednesday nights from 9 – 11 p.m. The teams can be contacted on their website.

Katie Yankovich, sophomore in mass communications, is finishing out her first season with the women’s club team. Yankovich said she plans to return to the team because of the positive experience.

“We just have so much potential, and will just get better because we already have the team chemistry,” Yankovich said. “We also have nationals in [Kansas City] next year, so that is more motivation to be even better than the years before because it will allow friends and family to come and watch us.”

Molly Hackett
Hi, I'm Molly Hackett and I am the managing editor and the sports editor for The Collegian. I am a senior in mass communications with an emphasis in digital media and a minor in business. In my free time, I like to spend time with the people closest to me, travel, drink coffee and take naps.