Women’s golf concludes regular season at Big 12 Championship

0
34
K-State women's golf finished up their season at the Big 12 Championship with a ninth place finish. (Alex Todd | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s golf team completed its regular season play at the 2019 Big 12 Championship on Tuesday at the Golf Club of Oklahoma in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.

Although the team finished in ninth place overall out of nine total teams, scoring a 75-over-par 939, senior Chloe Weir from Belfast, Northern Ireland, finished inside the top 10 in the individual portion of the tournament.

Weir concluded her career as a Wildcat with an eighth-place finish and an overall score of 227, which is 11 over par.

Over three days of competition, Weir scored 72, 78 and 77, which helped give her Big 12 All-Tournament Team accolades. The last Wildcat to place inside the top 10 at the Big 12 Championship was Madison Talley in 2016.

“Chloe played very well; she was solid all around,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “She had two holes that really held her up. She played probably 50 holes of great golf, two mediocre holes and two bad holes. It was a very good tournament for her.”

Weir said she was feeling proud and thankful for her performance this week.

“Being a senior, it was really special to come out here and be able to play,” Weir said. “I played some of the greatest golf of my college career. I’m really excited for the girls for next year. They’re a really good team and they have a lot of talent.”

On Tuesday, the final day of competition, freshman Briony Bayles had the best round for the Wildcats with a score of 73, finishing in 23rd place. Sophomores Reid Isaac, Niamh McSherry and Darby Deans placed 31st, 43rd and 45th, respectively.

As a team, the Wildcats had their best score on the last day of the tournament, with a 20-over-par score of 308. In total, the team finished 75-over-par and scored 311, 320 and 308 over three days of competition.

“We wanted them to start out with a more confident and aggressive mindset,” Knight said to K-State Sports. “We’re pleased with what we saw. They never stopped competing or battling. The conditions were really tough; the greens were really firm and fast for everyone.”

Meanwhile, the Texas Longhorns won their third-straight Big 12 Championship with a 13-over-par score of 877.

Texas players were able to pick up the top five spots of the tournament, followed by an individual from Baylor.

“I really liked the battle I saw in the team,” Knight said to K-State Sports. “Even though the results weren’t up to our expectations this week, going forward, it’s a great experience for this team. Hopefully, they’ll take this as a learning experience and it will pay off next year.”