Men’s golf finishes 4th at Hawkeye Intercollegiate

0
22

The Kansas State men’s golf team rode a seventh-place individual finish by senior Roland Massimino to a fourth-place team finish out of 13 teams at the Hawkeye Intercollegiate in Iowa City, Iowa, over the weekend.

The tournament was played Saturday and Sunday at the par-71, 6,884-yard Finkbine Golf Course in Iowa City.

As a team, the Wildcats carded a 6-under-par 278 in the opening round behind a 66 from Massimino and a 69 from senior Jeremy Gandon, with junior Jacob Eklund also shooting a 71 for the Wildcats. K-State sat in third place after one round.

The second round was a little rougher for the Wildcats. They put a 2-under 282 on the scorecard. Eklund once again had an even round and Gandon carded another 69. The difference this round was that Massimino only shot a 1-under 70.

“I thought it was an OK day for us,” head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports after the second round. “The conditions were perfect for scoring, and there were several bright spots. However, we were only able to get a couple of rounds in the 60s. We are in a good spot going into tomorrow.”

K-State’s Sunday round was more of the same; the Wildcats carded another 282 as a team. This time, they were anchored by a 68 from junior Ben Fernandez. Massimino cut a stroke off his second round performance for a 69. The rest of the Wildcats were over par for the round.

Massimino’s 205 for the tournament was eight shots under par and worth a tie for seventh place with Illinois’ Adrien Dumont de Chassart. They were both six shots behind the individual scoring leader, Iowa’s Matthew Walker, at 14-under.

Gandon carded a pair of 69s and then a 73 in the final round to lock himself into a tie for 20th individually at 2-under-par.

Fernandez had a rough Saturday, scoring a 73 and a 72 in the first two rounds. His third-round 68 vaulted him 18 spots on the final day to land an even par for the tournament and in a five-way tie for the 25th spot.

Eklund was even par going into Sunday after shooting a pair of 71s on Saturday. His 75 dropped him to a tie for 39th at 4-over.

Rounding out the Wildcat participants was senior J.C. Campbell, who shot 72 in the first round, 74 in the second and another 72 in the third to finish at 5-over with a tie for 43rd.

As a team, the Wildcats finished behind Iowa, Illinois and Kansas, respectively.

K-State will be in action again at the Big 12 Championship in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, from April 26-28.