K-State tennis concludes their Big 12 Championship run against Oklahoma State

0
73
Kansas State women's tennis team gathers their tennis balls before practice. (Brooke Barrett | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s tennis team ended its Big 12 Championship tournament run, falling to No.12 Oklahoma State at the Jayhawk Tennis Center, 4-0, on Friday.

The Wildcats (13-11, 2-7 in the Big 12) made it to the quarterfinals after sweeping West Virginia in the first round. The Cowgirls (19-6, 8-1 in the Big 12) did not compete in the first round as they had a bye and came into the tournament as the No. 2 seed.

“We just came up against a good team in Oklahoma State,” said head coach Jordan Smith to K-State sports. “We did really well battling in singles, especially after such a slow start in doubles. For the most part, we put ourselves in a position to have a good chance to see what could happen. I was pretty happy with our performance overall.”

Oklahoma State got the early lead as they managed to win the doubles point with wins on court one and three.

The doubles pairing of freshman Ioana Gheorghita and sophomore Maria Linares dropped the first doubles match against Bunyawi Thamchaiwat and Tamara Arnold 6-1. Over on court one, sophomore duo of Margot Decker and Anna Turco lost to No. 21 ranked team of Sofia Blanco and Catherine Gulihur, 6-3. Court two did not get to finish their match due to clinching rules.

As the match continued over into the singles portion the Cowgirls were able to run away with the match and secure their position in the Big 12 Championship semi-finals.

The first Wildcat to drop their match was Gheorghita who fell to Arnold on court six, 6-2, 6-1. Freshman Karine-Marion Job, was defeated by the No. 93 ranked singles player in the country, Marina Guinart, 6-3, 6-1.

[realted title=”Rowing brings home three gold medals from SIRA Championships” url=”https://www.kstatecollegian.com/2019/04/22/rowing-brings-home-three-gold-medals-from-sira-championships/”]

Junior Ines Mesquita on court five was the final Wildcat to drop their singles match as she fell to Gulihur, 6-3, 6-4.

The rest of the singles matches went unfinished, highlighted by court one player, Turco who was up a set against the No. 26 ranked player in the country, Katarina Stresnakova. Decker, on court three, was also ahead by a set against the No. 98 ranked player, Thamchaiwat.

Maria Linares on court two was down 3-6, 2-5, against Lisa Marie Rioux.

The Wildcats end their regular season with a 13-11 overall record and 2-7 in the Big 12.