ATID program to present annual runway show, gallery exhibition

0
95
A model showcases student work at the annual ATID Student Symposium on April 12, 2018. The runway show will be held again this Thursday. (File Photo by Meg Shearer | Collegian Media Group)

The 15th annual Student Symposium from the apparel, textiles and interior design program will be held Thursday and Friday to showcase student work and provide networking opportunities with industry professionals.

The symposium is a two-day event which begins on Thursday with the Showcase of Excellence, a gallery exhibition that will occur from 6 to 7 p.m. on the first floor of the Kansas State Alumni Center.

The gallery exhibit will be followed by a runway show beginning at 7 p.m. in the Alumni Center Banquet Room.

ATID students spend the majority of the spring semester planning the event, finding models and picking a theme. This year’s theme is a single word: “Thrive!”

McKenzie Weien, junior in apparel and textiles marketing, said the theme encompasses factors relating to well-being, including physical, mental, social and environmental well-being. Weien said everything featured in the showcase embodies this theme in some way.

The showcase portion of the symposium is a chance for ATID students to shine, Weien said.

“It shows what we really do in our majors,” Weien said. “It’s a great representation of the work that students in the College of Human Ecology do.”

Tickets must be purchased in advance to attend the ATID Student Symposium and can be purchased from the ATID department’s event page. No tickets will be sold at the door.

Beyond the Showcase of Excellence, the ATID Student Symposium will also feature workshops, topic sessions and professional panels for current K-State students as well as high school and middle school students who want to learn more about ATID. More information about the symposium can be found at the event webpage.