Men’s golf team finishes 7th at Big 12 Championship

0
38

Despite having the best final round of any teams in the Big 12 Championship, the Kansas State men’s golf team finished seventh overall out of 10 teams this weekend in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia, at the par-70, 7,201-yard Greenbrier Golf Club.

The Wildcats struggled in the opening round on Saturday morning. As a team, they carded a 15-over-par 295 in that first round, sitting in last place.

Senior Jeremy Gandon put up the best first round for K-State; he shot a 1-over 71 in the morning.

The Wildcats’ second round was much improved. They jumped up 17 shots from their first-round score and climbed two spots on the leaderboard to eighth place with a 2-under 278.

Senior Roland Massimino shot a 68, Gandon shot a 69 and junior Ben Fernandez shot an even-par 70 to pull the Wildcats out of last place in round two.

K-State’s momentum continued into Sunday morning with a 274, first place in round three, and they ultimately climbed another spot to seventh place overall.

The Wildcats got a 67 from Massimino, a 68 from junior Jacob Eklund, a 69 from Gandon and a 70 from Fernandez in the final round.

“I thought we came out a bit tight in round one and pressed a little,” head coach Grant Robbins said to K-State Sports. “I told them after that round to go out and just be you, and that your good golf is as good as anyone in this field.”

K-State had a pair of players crack the top 10 individual players in the tournament: Gandon and Massimino, who tied for eighth place at 209.

Gandon and Massimino were both chosen for the Big 12 All-Tournament Team, marking the first time K-State has had two players on the All-Tournament Team since the formation of the Big 12 Conference.

Eklund and Fernandez tied for 25th in individual competition with scores of 215 for the tournament.

“I can’t say enough about how proud I am of these guys and what they have been able to do this spring,” Robbins said to K-State Sports. “Now we are looking to keep it going at NCAA [Championships].”

The Wildcats will find out if they qualified for the NCAA Regional Championship on May 1 at 8 p.m. during the Men’s Golf Championship Selection Show on the Golf Channel.