UPDATE: Teenager arrested following reports of armed individual near campus

0
1523
Riley County Police Department patrol cars lined the streets of Manhattan surrounding the Kansas State University and Manhattan Christian College campuses around 1 a.m. Monday. (Logan Wassall | Collegian Media Group)

Update, April 29 at 11:39 a.m.: Police arrested a 14-year-old male shortly after 1 a.m. Monday morning.

According to a police activity summary from the Riley County Police Department, the teenager was taken into custody without incident on offenses of criminal possession of a weapon by a felon and criminal use of a weapon. He was then taken to the North Central Kansas Regional Juvenile Detention Center in Junction City.

Original story: Cars and officers with the Riley County Police Department lined Anderson Avenue and North Manhattan Avenue around 1 a.m. Monday due to a report of a suspicious individual who appeared to be armed near the Kansas State University and Manhattan Christian College campuses.

The RCPD dispatch said the incident was isolated and there was no imminent danger to the public. Early Monday morning, the police department declined to release further details at time of publication.

The identity of the individual is unknown.

The Collegian will update this story as more information becomes available.

Kyle Hampel
Those words you just read were written by me, Kyle Hampel. I'm an English major who has very strong feelings about barbecue pizza and the Oxford comma. I like to write articles about my strong opinions, too! I also play lots of musical instruments and video games, but never at the same time. I'm the copy editor and a deputy multimedia editor this semester. Beloit, Kansas, is proud to call me their own, along with several other towns I've lived in that aren't as special to me.