Baseball wins Sunday game, but drops series to Baylor on the road

0
26
The K-State Wildcats faced off against the Wichita State Shockers on May 1, winning the single-game series 7-2. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State baseball team dropped its series on the road against No. 15 Baylor, but the Wildcats still showed signs of life with a strong win in the series finale Sunday.

On Friday night, the game between the Wildcats and the Bears was won by Baylor 4-3 after continuing into Saturday because of a weather delay.

K-State started off hot on its offense, scoring all three of its total runs in the first inning. Senior Thomas Hughes reached on a fielding error and advanced to third on a double by sophomore Zach Kokoska. Sophomore Terrence Spurlin then hit a home run to left field, driving in both Hughes and Kokoska and giving K-State a 3-0 lead.

Freshman Griffin Hassall pitched 4.1 innings, giving up three runs on five hits. Hassall struck out three while walking just one in his start. Freshman Eric Torress surrendered the fourth run of the day, giving the Bears the lead they would need to clinch the series opener.

In the second game of the series later that day, K-State dropped the series to Baylor with an 11-6 loss. Junior Caleb Littlejim had a rough day on the mound, only pitching 3.2 innings and being charged with nine runs, eight of them earned. The Bears walked three times against Littlejim. The K-State bullpen gave up just two runs in 4.1 innings of relief work.

Baylor collected 11 runs on 14 hits and eight walks for the day. The designated hitter for the Bears, Andy Thomas, went 3-3 with two runs scored and three RBIs. Thomas also drew two walks from K-State pitchers.

The Wildcats only scored in two innings, the second and the sixth, and left eight runners on base.

In the series finale Sunday, K-State bounced back to beat the Bears 10-3 behind a six-inning pitching performance from freshman Jordan Wicks.

Wicks gave up only two runs on eight hits, but allowed five walks in his start for the Wildcats on Sunday. After the win, Wicks is 6-1 overall this season and Torres recorded the save with three innings of one-run ball.

The Wildcats had 13 hits and drew six walks on Sunday. Junior Chris Ceballos hit a home run to left field to put K-State on the board in the top of the second inning. Sophomore Jaxon Passino hit a single to the left, driving in another run in the second inning. The Wildcats scored three more runs in the third inning to take a 7-0 lead.

The Bears didn’t score until the fourth inning against the Wildcats. Three singles and a walk against Wicks would be the only offense the Wildcat pitching staff would allow.

In the seventh inning, Ceballos singled, Littelim drew a walk and Passino flied out, advancing Ceballos to third. Freshman Dylan Phillips drew a walk against Baylor’s pitching staff and junior Cameron Thomspon hit a double to right field, driving in the final three runs of the day for the Wildcats.

K-State’s record is now 23-26 overall and 7-11 in the Big 12 Conference. The Wildcats will look to carry the momentum from Sunday’s win into a one-game series against Texas Southern on Tuesday night in Manhattan, with first pitch scheduled for 6 p.m.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.