City evacuates some areas that flooded last year as water levels rise

0
253

Following a week of heavy rain and thunderstorms in Manhattan, the National Weather Service in Topeka issued a flood warning for Wildcat Creek at Scenic Drive just after 5 a.m. Wednesday morning.

“Water is expected to crest at 21 [feet] at Scenic Drive today, which indicated mild flood conditions,” the city of Manhattan announced in a release. “As of 6:00 a.m. the gauge at Keats is currently at 20.47 [feet] and the gauge at Scenic Drive is at 14.75 [feet].”

“Residents in the Keats area who were flooded in 2018 have been evacuated. Residents of Highland Ridge Apartments have been notified to move vehicles and be prepared to evacuate if necessary. Residents of the Hunter’s Island area who were impacted by the 2018 flood should also be prepared,” the press release continued.

Vivienne Uccello, public information officer for the city manager’s office, said the flood’s crest is anticipated to be about seven feet less than the Labor Day flooding last September. So far the water levels are only affecting parking lots, she said. Individuals affected by the flood in September are encouraged to move their vehicles.

Michelle Geering, a spokesperson for the university, said K-State’s Office of Student Life is working with students affected by the rising waters. The office said some students have already called in asking for assistance due to the flooding.

“[Student Life] is working individually with students for their needs,” Geering said.

Students in need of temporary housing or other assistance are encouraged to reach out to the Office of Student Life via 785-532-6432 or email them at stulife@ksu.edu.

The flood warning continues through Saturday morning, although the National Weather Service said “no widespread hazardous weather is expected” into the weekend.

My name is Kaylie McLaughlin and I'm the Editor in Chief of the Collegian. I grew up just outside of Kansas City in Shawnee, Kansas. I’m a junior in digital journalism with a minor in French and a secondary focus in international and area studies. As a third generation K-Stater, I bleed purple and my goal is to serve the Wildcat community with accurate coverage. I am fueled by a lot of coffee and I spend my (sparse) free time watching stand-up comedy.