K-State baseball routs Texas Southern, 11-5

0
74
The K-State Baseball Team huddles up before the game against Oklahoma on April 26, 2019. (Morgan Clarke | Collegian Media Group)

The K-State baseball team won their final non-conference game of the season by a score of 11-5 Tuesday afternoon in Manhattan against Texas Southern.

The game was originally scheduled to be played Tuesday night, but got moved to 3 p.m. because of the weather forecast.

The Wildcats jumped on the Tigers early. They deposited three runs on a first-inning home run to left field from junior catcher Chris Ceballos.

K-State’s starting pitcher, Will Brennan, pitched two innings without allowing a hit. He handed out one walk and recorded one strikeout.

In the second inning, freshman Dylan Phillips put a solo homerun on the top of the Brandenberry Indoor Complex in right field to make it 4-0.

K-State benefitted from a pair of free passes from Texas Southern Noe Guerrero in the fourth inning. With one out and two on, an infield single freshman Blake Burrows loaded the bases and a single from junior third baseman Cameron Thompson drove in a run.

Brennan sent home one more fourth inning run with a sacrifice fly in the next at bat.

Phillips scored another three runs on yet another homerun in the fifth to make the K-State lead 9-0. This time into the trees in right center.

K-State’s sophomore Andrew Stratman added three innings out of the bullpen. He struck out three of the nine batters he faced and gave up only one hit.

The Wildcats allowed three runs in the seventh, two of which were on free passes, but countered with another of their own on a sacrifice fly from sophomore Terrce Spurlin.

The Tigers would not go quietly, adding two more runs in the eighth. K-State managed another in the bottom of the eighth to make the score 11-5 going into the ninth.

The Mental Health Awareness Game victory moved K-State to 24-26 on the year. They currently sit in eighth place out of nine baseball-playing teams in the Big 12.

K-State will next host West Virginia in their final home series of the year on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Those games will all be on ESPN3 and the K-State Radio Network.