UPDATE: No ongoing threat after shots fired at KSU Foundation Building, no suspects arrested yet, university says

0
7865
At 11:12 a.m. Thursday, reports of shots fired at the Kansas State Foundation Building on Kimball and Denison avenues alerted the campus population via the K-State Alerts system. (Olivia Bergmeier | Collegian Media Group)

May 10, 3:35 p.m.: In the crime log for May 9, the K-State Police identified the incident as attempted first degree murder, aggravated assault, criminal damage to property and criminal discharge of a firearm. The incident remains under investigation.

4:10 p.m.: In a news release, the university reiterated that there are no reported injuries and no ongoing threat to campus in relation to shots fired in a parking lot north of the KSU Foundation Building this morning. The K-State Police have partnered with the Riley County Police Department for the ongoing investigation.

The release stated that a suspect has not been arrested at this time, and the KSUPD said that the “situation involved a dispute between individuals that appears to be unrelated to the Manhattan campus.”

Any witnesses to the event are encouraged to call K-State Police at 785-532-6412.

12:40 p.m.: The K-State Police have cleared the scene at the KSU Foundation Building for normal activity. Preliminary investigation has concluded.

Per the university’s news update webpage, K-State Police may release an update with further information at 4 p.m.

11:44 a.m.: K-State Alerts has advised the campus body that the scene at the KSU Foundation is safe with no reported injuries. The alert advises the pubic to avoid the area so police can investigate the area.

Original story

At 11:12 a.m. Thursday, reports of shots fired at the Kansas State Foundation Building on Kimball and Denison avenues alerted the campus population via the K-State Alerts system.

Officers are on the scene, and the public is advised to stay clear of the area.

People at the Foundation Building have been advised to shelter in place.

This is a developing story and will be updated as new information becomes available.

Dene Dryden
I'm Dene Dryden, a junior in English creative writing and the managing editor for the Collegian. I love practicing the art of editing and writing stories about interesting people. I also work with the Kansas Science Communication Initiative and the National FFA Organization. My cat Robyn is the light of my life, and I take my coffee black.